It takes powerful technology to connect our brands and partners with an audience of nearly 900 million. Whether you’re looking to write mobile app code, engineer the servers behind our massive ad tech stacks, or develop algorithms to help us process trillions of data points a day, what you do here will have a huge impact on our business—and the world. Want in?
A Little About Us
The Yahoo Mail Antispam Team develops and maintains high-performing systems that reliably protect our users from spam, phish, fraud and abuse with advanced ML/AI algorithms. These systems require extreme reliability, resilience and performance. We are tackling some of the toughest challenges in architecture design, algorithm development and data engineering. There are innumerable opportunities to innovate in all these areas.
Yahoo Mail is the ultimate consumer inbox. It is the best way to access your email and stay organized from a computer, phone or tablet. With its beautiful design and lightning fast speed, Yahoo Mail makes reading, organizing, and sending emails easier than ever. Come join this amazing team of Engineers, Product Managers and Designers to work on next generation innovative experiences transforming how users connect with each other every day.
- Overlook Mail Antispam system architecture
- Design and develop large-scale distributed systems that balance resources, constraints, requirements, and complexity
- Automate the provisioning, CI/CD pipelines, and management of our infrastructure
- Lead projects and mentor junior team members
- Participate in agile development with weekly sprints, planning & estimating work, daily standup, & retrospective
- Effectively collaborate with other engineers and cross-functional teams
- Recommend alternative approaches to solving complex problems and use new technology to achieve goals
A lot About You:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field with strong understanding of the fundamentals including Data Structures, Algorithms, OS and Networking
- 7+ years of industry experience with at least 4 years of designing and building scalable high-performing distributed systems
- Programming proficiency in a high level language (preferably Java or C++).
- Lead, Mentor junior engineers in the team
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and taking initiatives
- Great communication skills, joy in helping people, ability to remain friendly and constructive under stress
- Experience with Big Data technologies like Hadoop, HBase and Spark
- Experience in algorithm design and ML/AI
- Proficiency in statistical methods and exploratory data analysis
- Previous exposure to anti-spam or anti-abuse engineering
- Familiarity with data mining, text processing and classification algorithms
- Strong understanding of network programming and client/server architecture
- Professional experience with high availability/throughput distributed system
- Experience with queuing and streaming technologies like Kafka or Apache Storm
- Experience with public cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Azure)
Yahoo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Yahoo is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. If you need accessibility assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via the Accommodation Request Form (www.yahooinc.com/careers/contact-us.html) or call 408-336-1409. Requests and calls received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
At Yahoo, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion (www.yahooinc.com/diversity/) page to learn more.
US Only: Please be aware that Yahoo requires all employees entering a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events) are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to obtain and show proof of a vaccination to enter a U.S. Yahoo office and/or attending a company event (including client events). Yahoo is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
The compensation for this position ranges from $143,625.00 – $299,375.00/yr and will vary depending on factors such as your location, skills and experience. The compensation package may also include incentive compensation opportunities in the form of discretionary annual bonus or commissions, in addition to equity incentives. Yahoo provides industry-leading benefits including healthcare, 401K savings plan, company holidays, vacation, sick time, parental leave and an employee assistance program. Eligibility requirements apply.
Yahoo has a high degree of flexibility around employee location and hybrid working. In fact, our flexible-hybrid approach to work is one of the things our employees rave about. Most roles don’t require specific regular patterns of in-person office attendance. If you join Yahoo, you may be asked to attend (or travel to attend) on-site work sessions, team-building, or other in-person events. When these occur, you’ll be given notice to make arrangements.
If you’re curious about how this factors into this role, please discuss with the recruiter.
Currently work for Yahoo? Please apply on our internal career site.