MEPPI’s Power Systems Engineering Division (PSED) is looking for a Principal System Studies Engineer with Planning and PSS/E experience to lead business and sustained growth in consulting and system studies with Electric Reliability Organizations (EROs), developers, public and investor-owned utility planning, interconnection, operations, and equipment application focused on transmission and distribution (T&D). In addition, the successful candidate will identify, track, and support T&D infrastructure development from early phases to implementation while representing MEPPI as a recognized industry leader in power systems consulting and studies.
- Lead sustained business, consulting, studies, and technology integration initiatives with industry organizations such as regional reliability/planning organizations, the IEEE, CIGRE, EPRI, and other industry groups.
- Engage EROs, developers, and public and investor-owned utility planning, interconnection, operations, and equipment application actively and routinely to grow business in sustainable manner based on subject matter expertise.
- Organize and manage proposal activities in response to customer specifications, RFPs/RFQs, and technical information requests.
- Independently manage, lead, and further projects to ensure completion within specified schedules and budgets, leveraging expertise and relationships to grow business. Independently develop, manage, and further project plans specifying goals, strategy, budget, schedule and resource assignment, leveraging expertise and relationships to grow business. Consult with project stakeholders to grow business.
- Manage and lead the development, organization and analysis of data for systems studies. Expand the division’s capabilities to utilize data mining and visualization techniques to improve data, perform data analysis, present data and ensure data integrity.
- Lead activities, direct others and expand the capabilities of relevant software and programming tools to enhance models, simulations, automated reporting, data monitoring and data integrity.
- Independently lead large-scale commercial offerings and lead presentations in various markets.
- Grow sustainable business and major accounts in support of the division objectives.
- Consult and perform advanced studies.
- Support proper forecasting, resources, and workflow.
- Provide feedback to support workflow to avoid quality and delivery issues and to support root cause investigations.
- Train and mentor engineers to expand capabilities in new areas.
- Lead in the continued formation of effective practices, capabilities, and tools.
- Lead the development of technical papers and articles for publication in professional society journals and trade magazines, and for presentation at professional society meetings, industry conferences, and trade exhibitions.
- Support and lead generator testing, model development, and validation to standards.
- Lead and contribute to pre-specification for T&D equipment, such as for key system design parameters.
- Recommend new and revised policies and procedures.
- Further the goals and positive, professional image of PSED through interaction with other MEPPI departments and vendors.
- Know MEPPI’s Quality, Safety, and Environmental Policies. Be able to fully discuss the importance of these policies and how they impact work.
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering with emphasis on electric power engineering, or equivalent technical discipline, and a minimum 10 years of experience in power systems studies consulting field, electric utility system planning or T&D manufacturer’s application engineering, or equivalent education and experience in areas key to position.
- Advanced knowledge of EROs, developers, and public and investor-owned utility business planning flow as related to initial feasibility, planning, engineering, implementation, and operations stages.
- Advanced knowledge of regulatory, compliance, and resource/capacity/strategy assessment.
- General knowledge of asset and operations management, environmental policy, and system hardening.
- Advanced organization, presentation, communication and technical writing skills.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment and on several projects simultaneously.
- Advanced computer skills with emphasis on MS Office products.
- Advanced knowledge of the following programs and modeling tools:
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and related
- ATP, EMTP, EMTP-RV, PSCAD, MATLAB,ASPEN, CAPE, and CDEGS
- PSLF, PSS/E, DigSILENT, DSA Tools, Power World, and related
- CYME, Synergi, etap, Milsoft, and Plexos
- Economic software like PROMOD or MAPS
- C, C++, MATLAB, Java, Perl, Python, and others
- Advanced knowledge of industry standards and guides (NESC, NERC, IEEE, IEC, and CIGRE).