- Chameleon is SaaS for product teams to create in-product UX (modals, banners, checklists, microsurveys etc.) to drive user engagement. Watch a short demo here.
- We’re a remote-first, Series A, VC-backed startup and currently ~35 folks distributed across the Americas and Europe. Learn more about our team, company, and culture here.
- Seeking our 2nd product designer to own design work for new features, improving existing UI etc. Looking for a mid-senior level designer who has SaaS experience living in Americas/Europe.
- Salary range for this role is $90k – $160k USD annually, based on experience
- Our application process is different to others — we think interviewing isn’t the best way for either party to assess fit, so we try to resemble working together and collaborating.
Sarah (previous applicant) wrote to us and said: “Whatever the outcome of this, I really enjoyed filling out this application! Great job, such a different approach than usual”
Who you’d be working with
Hello! My name is Pulkit, one of the co-founders of Chameleon, and the main author of this doc, alongside our current product designer, Valentin.
Here are some short intros to ourselves, the company, what we’re looking for, and the role etc.
Videos intros from Pulkit (CEO) and Valentin (Designer)
Here’s Valentin introducing himself and talking a little about working for design at Chameleon:
We also work with other designers, e.g. Jamie (marketing design and development), Jess (marketing consultant / advisor) and Linda (design freelancer), who says:
Chameleon exemplifies a lean start-up with great culture: fast-paced, lots of autonomy and ownership, balanced with flexibility, thoughtful communication and feedback. Design and user experience are highly valued and I’ve felt like a valued part of the team from the get-go.
Why join us now?
This is now the best time to join Chameleon: you’d be joining a team that has found its groove and is excited about scaling, and a product that has customer love but with tons of potential to transform how SaaS works.
Our customers (read case studies here) find a lot of value in what we offer, and we have a lot of ideas on what else we can build to make UX easier, more engaging, and more personal.
We’re a team of ~35 and so every person has a significant and material impact on our company’s trajectory and culture. We want to hire people who want to be the best, who learn and iterate quickly, who are humble and looking to grow, and who are friendly and caring.
🌊 Learn more about our team, culture, and vision in our company page.
What your day-to-day might include
- Owning projects end-to-end through our design process
- Reviewing, discussing, and prioritizing the key problems we should solve
- Conducting research and ideating solutions to these problems
- Creating wireframes and hi-fidelity prototypes to showcase solutions
- Discussing and refining designs to prepare them for engineering
- Improving, and maintaining our design system and component library
- Helping test and reviewing delivered stories
- Talking to customers; joining existing CS calls, reviewing tickets, participating in beta programs, arranging specific user research etc. This is key to having “good” intuition.
- Collaborating with other designers on our team
Skills and experience that will aid success in this role
- 4+ years of full-time product design experience at a SaaS startup, preferably <50 employees
- Experience designing complex product workflows, ideally B2B, from ideation to high-fidelity mocks, and take a system-centric approach to design (think and work with components)
- Great at independent research (e.g. competitive analysis, usability testing, surveys, and interviews, etc.) specifically identifying challenges related to usability and adoption
- Proactive in managing your workload and suggesting solutions to competing demands
- Seek feedback, iterate quickly, and know how to extract insight from successful and unsuccessful experiments to learn and identify areas for improvement
- Organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable working asynchronously
- Builder/owner mindset (independent, comfortable with building processes and systems)
- Good written and verbal communication skills (clear, succinct, direct)
- Proficient in Figma or similar tool
- You have a fully functioning workstation and a quiet place to work (and take calls) with a high-speed internet connection
- You are in an Americas or European timezone (i.e. PST to EET; based in 🇨🇦 🇲🇽 🇧🇷 🇨🇱 🇺🇸 // 🇨🇦 🇲🇽 🇧🇷 🇨🇱 🇬🇧 🇫🇮 🇵🇹 🇪🇺 🇿🇦 etc.) If you are not living in this timezone we cannot consider you, regardless of your interest or willingness to work within these hours
- You need to be able to be on meetings from 8-10:30am Pacific Timezone
- This will be your full-time job (no other part-time roles)
- Fluency (written and verbal) in English
<aside> 🌈 Chameleons are all different and uniquely beautiful. They change and aren’t required to associate or identify with any specific labels. We welcome the chance to get to know you and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that consists of a variety of backgrounds, cultures, languages, experiences, preferences, and characteristics. That’s what helps us all grow and evolve.
What to expect from the hiring process
Each person that joins our team leaves a major impact on our product, culture, and trajectory, so we want to be sure this addition is right for both parties! 🎈
Our hiring process is designed to give you a taste of working at Chameleon as a Product Designer so you can reliably decide whether this is the perfect role for you or not!
- Application (form below) This won’t look like others; it won’t be tedious and robotic, but will engage you in similar ways as the job. It will also mean we can make the process quicker — our goal is 2 weeks chat to project.
- Introductory chat Here you can ask any questions you have for us and begin to get to know each a bit. The goal is to assess chemistry and communication.
- White-boarding activity We’ll collaborate over a 1 hr exercise so you can see whether it’d be fun to collaborate with us, and we can show you a little more about how we operate.
- Paid project We will work together on a small design exercise to help us really assess what it’s like to work together. This is likely to take 8-12 hours over ~2 weeks and we will pay a fair hourly rate.
Offer 🎉 If we all enjoy working together and make good progress on the exercise we’ll be in a position to make you a full-time offer.