ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with 8am-4pm Eastern Time (EST) for at least 4 hours/week.
Why this job is exciting
Sourcegraph has product market fit thanks to a suite of features that is convincing the largest companies in the world to become customers, but our feature set is far from complete. This job offers the opportunity to help create critical functionality of one of the most important developer tools on the planet. You’ll have the chance to collaborate with many teams throughout the company to deliver functionality that ties the platform together and improves our overall offering.
Our internal developers are customer-focused and understand and respect the power of good design. Our customers love our product and rely on it daily to ship and deploy better software. You’ll be buoyed and challenged by their constant stream of thoughtful feedback and engage with them to help solve their toughest problems.
Within one month, you will…
- You’ll complete your onboarding tasks and get to know your teammates
- Learn about our business, product, vision, and team, and gain an understanding of how your role fits into Sourcegraph’s broader organization
- Get to know the processes, tools, and systems the design team uses
- Learn and understand our development process for feature releases and inter-team communication
- Become familiar with basic Sourcegraph search functionality
- Improve the designer onboarding process by contributing Sourcegraph’s handbook
- Produce designs for several smaller issues
Within three months, you will…
- Join a team working on a major feature
- Learn about our users through our existing research and by conducting new research
- Develop an understanding of how code search solves our customer’s use cases
- Take active involvement in strategic (the “why”), not just tactical (the “how”) realities of the design decisions you make
- Contribute to the design system
- Provide feedback and guidance to your fellow designers
- Work with the design team to improve its processes, contribute to design critiques, and build team cohesion
- Conduct user research that guides your feature team’s decisions
Within six months, you will…
- Learn the functionality of products like code insights and batch changes
- Attend a company, product and/or a design team offsite (or virtual offsite)
- Identify and define a change that will improve the product (including the metrics you will measure), shepherd your solution through the design and development process, analyze the results, and share your progress with the company
- Work closely with product and engineering team to identify, plan, scope, and execute an end-to-end product experience
- Mentor designers as they seek to solve design challenges
Within one year, you will…
- Host a design workshop that engages your peers
- Identify an area for improvement in one of your prior efforts through research or metrics, advocate for space in the roadmap to improve it, and ship a change that positively impacts the original project’s success criteria
- Proactively identify and unblock knowledge sharing and communication challenges to help scale the design organization
- Educate, mentor, and train team members across the entire company on design methodology and philosophy
- Leverage design thinking to contribute to Sourcegraph’s competitive strategy
You are a talented and technically-minded Product Designer with 8+ years of experience who is also comfortable reading and writing code. This gives you the skills to work with technical teams on technical problems related to code search, navigation, creating changesets, and analyzing and managing code. You have experience in fast-paced startups, so you understand the need for practicality, but you recognize uncertainty and risk when you see them and can adjust the design process to account for those variables accordingly. You have the skills to effectively guide even the most ambiguous project to a successful outcome, and can coach others in how to do so as well. You are equal parts user experience designer and visual designer, have experience conducting research with end users, and are an excellent communicator. You are strongly aligned with our values and inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code.
- Experience designing complex B2B or B2D web applications as demonstrated in a strong portfolio
- You have experience writing code and, possibly in dynamically typed languages such as Typescript
- The ability to adapt your tools and processes for the velocity of a fast-paced startup where projects have varying requirement levels.
- Ability to create user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and other design artifacts to communicate complex concepts, and explain the reasoning behind your designs.
- Experience with user research and usability testing
Nice to haves:
- Experience designing for developer tools
- Experience working with distributed or remote teams
- Experience with designing search functionality for eCommerce, B2B, or other complex applications
This job is an IC4. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
The target compensation for this role is $175,000 USD base.
In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Interview process [~5.5 hour total interview]
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
Introduction Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
And that’s it! Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees