(United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland)
We are targeting GMT +1 to GMT -8 in the countries identified with core overlapping hours of 10am-1pm Eastern Standard
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers by building products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. As a designer at Stack Overflow, you’ll create and build products that directly impact the work and the lives of those developers.
We’re looking for a Product Designer to join our Community Products team which focuses on building tools for developers, companies, and the community to support their growth and development. This particular role will focus on supporting pods looking into innovation, such as Collectives™ on Stack Overflow, as well as enabling community growth.
You’ll also be spending lots of time working with all our other product designers, whether that’s contributing to our design system, participating in critique, working on guild initiatives, or just hanging out with us in Slack. We’re a team that rejects competition between designers and instead embraces collaboration and is always looking for ways to teach and help each other.
We’re looking for a generalist – someone who is familiar with research to early-stage design explorations to high-fidelity prototypes and mockups and front-end development. But most importantly, we’re looking for someone who’s excited to join our small team, to dig into big projects, and to learn and grow with us.
Skills & Requirements
What you’ll do:
- Follow our fast-moving product development process in close collaboration with your product team consisting of engineers, researchers, product managers, and other designers.
- Identify when user research and experience design methods are necessary, and conduct or collaborate on that discovery work
- Partner closely with our research team, drawing insights from their work and turning those into tangible solutions
- Design high-quality visuals, interactions, workflows, and copy that are user-centered and consistent with our design language
- Use your design work appropriately in context with the overall product and business goals to impact and drive product strategy
- Work with our world-class product managers and engineers to deliver your product vision, including writing design specs and reviewing work before it is shipped to millions of users
- Contribute to a collaborative and inclusive team environment where design ideas and feedback are shared openly and with the best intentions
What we need to see:
- 3-6 years of product design experience
- Applied experience of thoughtful, thorough design work in a responsive web setting
- A deep curiosity and ability to consider product strategy and vision. You don’t just care about how a feature should look, but you’re interested in why we’re designing it in the first place
- Experience in conducting, digesting, and applying user research
- Experience with basic front-end development (HTML, CSS)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High levels of organization and ability to work independently
- (Desired) Experience working on a product in a two-sided marketplace
- (Bonus) experience with designing for developers or other technical audience
- (Bonus) experience using (and/or contributing to) design systems
What you might work on
- Bringing new content types to Collectives on Stack Overflow
- Build features that allow customers to interact with technologists to build stronger relationships and encourage valuable discussions around their products
- Add more structured learning opportunities for technologists to Stack Overflow
- Adapt moderation tools for newer content types such as articles
- Introduce new ways to monitor community health and growth
- We’re a distributed, remote team and you’ll be part of a work culture that emphasizes online & asynchronous communication with minimal meetings and ceremonies
- We’re generally very flexible on working hours, though we do ask everyone on the team to maintain an overlap with (at least) 10AM – 1PM US Eastern time
- We don’t consider applications without cover letters – please make sure to include yours and talk about why you want to work here!
Some of what you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary between $140K and $190K USD
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and paid sick days
- Long-term incentive (equity grant)
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- 401K match
- Health & Wellness stipend
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunches, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening voluntarily Fall 2021), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.