GitHub is changing the way the world builds and secures software, and we want you to help build GitHub!
Our security products team works on tools that make it easy to find, fix and prevent security vulnerabilities, and are deploying them to millions of developers. We work to make consumption of open source software something that all developers can do with confidence. We want to make security of open source software as automated as possible so that the community can scale to secure all software.
We’re looking for a Product Manager to lead Dependabot, a product that millions of users use to help protect their projects and their dependencies, as well as Security Advisories, which make it easier to report and notify users of vulnerabilities in open source.
In this role, you will have the unique opportunity to work as a Product Manager with a globally distributed, diverse and a passionate team. You’ll work with a team of engineers to research, create and maintain features and experiences impacting millions of developers worldwide. You will also develop deeper expertise into GitHub’s software supply chain product features, evangelize their usage, and support our customers through their security journeys.
- Own the product vision for a successful, widely-used product in the security space. Define the key customer pain points to be solved, and how GitHub will address these needs. Ensure that it aligns with the overall security product strategy and company vision, and help our customers succeed.
- Become an expert on the domain, market, and trends in the space. Evangelize your vision so all stakeholders are aligned, have context and understand where we are going.
- Engage with security leaders at our top customers, identify opportunities to deliver value, and build relationships to better understand how to serve our users. Represent the customer and bring the customer’s voice into the creation process.
- Manage the roadmap. Make tough tactical prioritization decisions and tradeoffs while helping the company think long-term. Build trust with stakeholders by maintaining an understandable, accurate roadmap.
- Collaborate across teams. We win or lose as a team. Product managers play a critical role in creating alignment between engineering teams and stakeholders. A collaborative attitude is essential to the job.
- Use data to inform decision making. Analyze data for trends and potential customer pain points, and use this to prioritize and inform how to improve the product. Go back to the data when needed to answer questions.
- Measure success. Own the measures used to define success for your product. Success measures must be defined at the inception of a product and tracked throughout its lifecycle. Make measures visible to all stakeholders and interpret them into actionable conclusions and new hypotheses.
- Develop new opportunities. With your finger on the pulse of the market, the customers and the engineering teams, you are uniquely positioned to discover and develop new opportunities.
- 3-5+ years of engineering, developer evangelism, product management, program management, or equivalent experience with demonstrated ability to discover opportunities and define and deliver products.
- Previous experience working with a software delivery team.
- Experience of building platform features across a product, deep understanding of administrator’s security needs in an enterprise.
- Experience building features for a cloud service at scale.
- Experience working across organizations with Sales, Marketing, Support, Product, Engineering and Design.
- Strong technical abilities including experience with developer tools.
- Familiarity with modern software development practices.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex feedback into actionable priorities.
- Entrepreneurial thinking and the ability to act effectively with only high-level direction.
- Strong communication skills, with clear verbal communication as well as explicit and mindful written communication skills.
- Strong customer and stakeholder empathy and understanding.
- Strong analytical capabilities, to decompose complex structures and data into useful primitives and analyses.
- Demonstrated ability to lead multidisciplinary teams and projects.
- Previous experience with security products, teams, and processes.
- Previous experience with open source project development, use, and consumption.
- Willingness to travel anywhere to our developer communities, staying productive and professional on the road.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.