Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code. Software has driven a lot of technological innovation, and yet today, only a small fraction of the world can contribute to this progress by writing code. We believe that enabling more people to code will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive better and faster technological progress that benefits everyone.
The problem developers face today is that the amount, complexity, and value of code is increasing quickly, and it is hard to keep up. We call this problem Big Code.
Sourcegraph helps developers at our customers and in open source, find code, understand code, and automate changes to that code at scale in massive codebases.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code search yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
The Extensibility team ensures Sourcegraph delivers the most interoperable and easy way to interact with our platform. We’re here to minimize the friction for devs to get their jobs done in their current workflows while connecting to the tools they already know and use. As the Product Manager for the Extensibility team, you have a unique opportunity to have an outsized impact on the business and the product. You will be a crucial member of our exceptional high agency all-remote team, and will help us to achieve ambitious objectives to make our platform and extensibility experience fast, seamless, scalable, inclusive and performant.
Within one month:
- You will start building a trusting relationship with your team and peers.
- You will understand the what, why, and how of the experiences that your team is working on, how those outputs contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- Be transparent in your internal and external communication. Sourcegraph is open source, so most discussions are public or in channels where you communicate directly with our customers.
- Maintain the roadmap, backlog, and curate and solicit feedback for the product area.
Within three months:
- Uphold your side of the PM – EM partnership responsibilities.
- Add value to the user by surfacing real problems and improving the user’s workflow as a developer.
- Gather customer feedback to validate priorities, improve documentation, and define product requirements.
- Your peers in product and engineering are enthusiastic to work with you because you reliably follow-through with your commitments.
- You will be able to communicate the 1-year vision for your team.
Within six months:
- You will have improved planning, communication, and collaboration processes to help the team scale as we grow.
- Grow usage and engagement of your ownership area and Sourcegraph as a whole.
- You will celebrate the fact that your team has delivered key results in support of their objectives for the year.
Within one year:
- You will collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your org should work towards.
- Communicate product ideas clearly by focusing on the problems that are being solved, the outcomes, and how we will measure success.
As a Product Manager, you tell the story behind the why of your product area. Through this, you influence, excite, and align folks within your team, and across the organization about what your team is working on. You are organized and provide clarity across the organization and within your team to help provide focus. You are constantly curious – wanting to understand and dig into the data and why behind pain points and problems that our users are facing. You can identify root causes of pain. You’re empathetic – you bring the voice of the user into every conversation, and hold empathy and understanding for your teammates to align on a solution that is right.
- 2+ years working as a product manager.
- Experience working as a software engineer.
- Experience partnering with UX and user research teams.
- Exceptional understanding of Git and Git workflows.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, technical writing ability, and use of data to back up your arguments.
- Ability to stay focused on goals and strategically prioritize work.
- Deep passion for developer tools and productivity enhancements.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to drive and influence product strategy across engineering and design.
- Your working hours overlap with 8am-4pm PT for at least 10 hours per week so we have time to collaborate synchronously when necessary.
Interview process [4.5 hours total + ~1 hour async writing]
- [30 min] Recruiter screen with our Recruiting team.
- [30 min] Hiring Manager screen
- [60 mins] Resume Deep Dive
- Complete an RFC. Your RFC is then reviewed by members of the Product team.
- [2 hrs] “Onsite Interview”
- [60 mins] Meet with two members of our Product team (Product Designer & Product Manager) to review your RFC.
- [30 mins] Meet with your Engineering Manager counterpart.
- [30 mins] Values interview with 2 teammates from outside the Product team.
- [30 min] Leadership interview with Beyang Liu (CTO)
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.