Notice: The entire Code for America Staff will be offline from Friday, December 24th until Tuesday, January 4th for celebration and recharge with our loved ones. We look forward to responding to you upon return and thanks in advance for your patience and understanding. We hope you have a happy holiday. –CfA’s Talent Acquisition Team
Product Manager, Code for America
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the 21st century. We build open source technology and organize a network of people dedicated to making government services simple, effective, and easy to use. Our employees build and transform government services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, non-profit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for both the government and the people the government serves, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America you will contribute to meaningful work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Come help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Product Manager who will own the day to day product activities for one of our tax benefits products, gaining a deep understanding of the benefits landscape for clients and partners and how best to improve the access to benefits through technology.
About the Role:
The Tax Benefits portfolio at Code for America includes GetYourRefund.org, a program to connect tax filers in the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) participation gap with free, IRS-certified tax preparation services through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program; GetCTC.org, an e-filing product developed in collaboration with the White House and US Treasury to help families access the Child Tax Credit and other tax benefits they might have missed, including stimulus payments; and The Hub, a case management system to track progress and communicate with GetYourRefund and GetCTC clients. To date, we’ve delivered more than $300M to low income tax filers in flexible cash benefits through these programs.
We’re a collaborative team with a sharp focus on user needs, driven by making a meaningful difference in the lives of the people we serve.
The ideal candidate is excited to work with research, design, and engineering to understand people who haven’t used a product like ours before.
This role is based in San Francisco or remote in the U.S. This role reports to the Group Product Manager.
In this position you will:
- Support the day to day backlog and delivery, working with the product team to write user stories, acceptance criteria, and prioritize the backlog
- Help lead a multi-disciplinary team of design, research, and engineering to test and develop new solutions that work for underserved communities and grow our overall user base
- Collaborate with designers on the creation of prototypes and models
- Monitor and improve key product performance indicators
- Create and encourage a culture of initiative, flexibility and responsiveness, mobilizing the team to respond swiftly to changing priorities
- Drive a diverse and collaborative working culture which encourages openness, approachability and is supportive of challenge, however uncomfortable.
- Collaborate with engineering leads to develop and evolve team processes that enable us to focus on the right things and execute efficiently.
- Participate in research and interactions with users: understanding what we’re trying to learn and why and ensuring the right outcomes from research
- Work closely with the Group Product Manager to execute strategy that promotes systems change and serves the long term goals of the Tax Benefits portfolio
- 2+ years of product management experience.
- Experience working in a growth team or in high-growth product organization
- Proven ability to lead high quality product development using an agile methodology – iteratively improving products through delivery cycles.
- Proven ability to interpret and leverage user research, usability testing, and data analytics to make and validate product decisions.
- Strong product judgment – knowing when to prototype and when to code, when to experiment, and when to change direction.
- Have a handle on the day to day and an ability to forecast, plan, connect incremental short-term progress with a long-term vision.
- Strong communication skills and experience and comfort with internal and external stakeholders
- A passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them.
Additionally, here are the stages in the interview process for this role: Recruiter screen; Hiring manager interview; Take home technical assignment; Interview about assignment; Virtual onsite interviews; Reference checks; and Offer.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from ($102,850 – $139,150) in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. That target for this role is $115,500. These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/ Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.