At Propel, we believe that low-income Americans should have access to modern, respectful, and effective financial products. That is why we build Providers (formerly Fresh EBT). Providers is a free mobile app that empowers SNAP recipients to more easily manage their government benefits and discover new resources. Providers has expanded into the financial services space by building a new financial product that will offer the best banking option for low-income Americans.
The Program and Policy Director – Cash Benefits will be part of the Government and Public Partnerships Team at Propel. We’re looking for someone who has knowledge of means tested government benefits and the payment systems used to distribute cash funds to participant households (including but not limited to Tax refunds (EITC) and the new AdvCTC, SSI/SSDI, Unemployment Insurance, and rental and utility assistance.)
You’ll be Propel’s liaison to communicate and partner with government and policymakers. You’ll serve as the interpreter who communicates policy intricacies and the voice of government partners to inform business and product decision making. You’ll also work side-by-side with the product, engineering, business, and design teams to identify opportunities to improve the current service and build new features.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- An immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Start-up experience- you will be exposed to a broad set of functions and challenges
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (remote friendly!)
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with the Propel’s technical team to improve the interface between our technology and government partners. On a given day, you might investigate a bug such as missing payments, communicate with the IRS, Treasury or other government partners, and advocate for how systems should be improved to better serve households interacting with cash-based benefits.
- Develop and execute on the strategy to connect Providers users to tax filing, including the AdvCTC and support development of a best in class tool to receive tax refunds by direct deposit
- Identify policy opportunities and track legislation related to federal and state administered cash benefits
- Develop deep, strong, and collaborative relationships with government agencies, federal and state leaders, Congressional Hill staff, regional organizations and coalition partners related to cash benefits
- Collaborate with research, business and product teams to draft materials and present to external stakeholders, including state and federal agencies and lawmakers
- Define and execute on the strategy to invite and allow more households to receive more cash-based government benefits on the Providers Card
What you have:
- Superb attention to details — when seeking precise information, you dive into the original text of the legislation and automatically double, and triple, check your work
- Orientation to get stuff done — navigate through ambiguity, learn new skills, and bias toward action with the ability to meet tight deadlines and shift priorities
- Work cross functionally — ability to context shift between policy details, stakeholder relationships and product work
- Top notch communicator — excellent written and oral communications with senior-level partners
- Humility — you expect and want to learn from our users
- Deep desire to help fulfill Propel’s mission of building modern, effective, and respectful tools for low-income Americans
- 6+ years relevant experience
- Strong network and/ or knowledge of tax systems, federal cash payment benefits and/or administrative policy for federal or state cash benefits
- Preferred: experience with consumer facing technology product(s); J.D. and/or experience reviewing legislative text