At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app Providers, previously called Fresh EBT, to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re expanding further into the financial services space by building a new financial product that will offer the best banking option for low-income Americans.
The Program Manager – EBT will be part of the Government and Public Partnerships Team at Propel. In this role, you’ll be Propel’s expert, liaison, and interpreter on all policies and government relationships related to SNAP and all other benefits distributed via an EBT card. As our internal expert, you’ll communicate and partner with government and policymakers about SNAP, P-EBT, and WIC. Also as our interpreter, you’ll communicate policy intricacies and represent the voice of government partners to inform business and product decision making. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is eager to work side-by-side with the product, engineering, business, and design teams to identify opportunities to improve the current service and build new features.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- An immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Startup experience – you will be exposed to a broad set of functions and challenges
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (remote friendly!)
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with Propel’s technical staff to improve the interface between our technology and government. On a given day, you might investigate a bug, communicate with government partners, and advocate for how systems should be improved to better serve EBT cardholders
- Identify policy opportunities and track legislation related to SNAP/EBT at federal and state levels
- Develop deep, strong, and collaborative relationships to partner with government agencies, federal and state leaders, regional organizations and coalition partners related to SNAP/EBT
- Collaborate with research, business and product teams to draft materials and present to external stakeholders, including state and federal agencies and lawmakers
What you have:
- 4+ years relevant experience; Masters preferred but not required
- Superb attention to details — when seeking precise information, you dive into the original text of the legislation and automatically double, and triple, check your work
- Orientation to get stuff done — you fight through ambiguity, learn new skills, and bias toward action with the ability to meet tight deadlines and shifting priorities
- Work cross functionally — ability to context shift between policy details, stakeholder relationships, and product work
- Top notch communicator — excellent written and oral communications with senior-level partners
- Humility — you expect and want to learn from our users
- Knowledge of, or excitement to learn, nutrition policy and implementation
- Preferred: experience working in or with administrative policy, experience with consumer software