RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open source data science platform, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
To date, the open source R teams (mlverse, rmarkdown, Shiny, and tidyverse) have existed largely independently, each led by a technical expert. As the number of open source engineers has increased, our relatively informal existing structure has started to show its weaknesses and we’re looking for a leader to help us grow with confidence. You will work hand in hand with Hadley Wickham and our other technical leads to ensure that our open source engineers continue to flourish as we grow. You’ll also spend some time thinking about our wider open source community, helping R users grow as software engineers and building solid governance structures for the future.
This role has the potential to have a substantial (if indirect) impact on the practice of data science, particularly as practiced by R users. Across our open source teams, we develop hundreds of R packages including some of the most popular packages in the R ecosystem, like ggplot2, shiny, rmarkdown, and dplyr. Our packages are used by millions of people each year.
- Communication: Our open source developers work independently, so it’s sometimes hard to get a high-level view of everything we’re working on. We need you to help us improve our reporting so that we can better articulate a shared vision within the team and better explain our current priorities to the rest of the company. You’ll also help communicate to the wider user community. We are already adept at advertising package releases on blogs and social media; you’ll help us think more systematically about how we communicate the big picture, and how we reach a greater proportion of our user community.
- People: You will have a couple of direct reports, but your impact will be mostly felt through coaching and mentorship of your indirect reports. Developers in our open source teams have high autonomy and need little day-to-day management. But they do need someone to help them think about their careers in the long-term, help troubleshoot their relationship and team dynamics challenges, and (where interested) grow their management skills. You will also play a key role in hiring engineers. We expect you to care deeply about diversity, and be excited to develop initiatives that will expand the pool of skilled R users.
- Product: Our goal is to deliver seamless end-to-end experiences for all data scientists. While we’re well connected to pain experienced by our vocal twitter community, we hear less from industry data scientists. We want you to develop a systematic process for listening to all our users to make sure we’re not missing important pain points. As part of this, you’ll work closely with our solutions engineering, customer success, and product management teams to both learn product gaps and to execute solutions that require cross-team coordination. .
- Familiarity with the data science ecosystem. You don’t need to know R, but you should be willing to learn it
- Hands-on experience with open source communities and building products at scale.
- A genuine love of helping people, both inside the company and out.
- Ability to coordinate and work with teams/stakeholders within and beyond the organization, including effective project management skills in an environment where you may not control many of the variables.
- Strong empathy, comfort with ambiguity, and a willingness to define the nuances of team roles (including this one) as you go.
- RStudio is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means that our open-source mission is codified into our charter, and that our corporate decisions balance the interests of the community, customers, employees, and shareholders.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- a home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- a profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.