Who we are:
Pixel Union and Out of the Sandbox are leading designers of premium themes and apps for the Shopify ecommerce platform. We’re focused on helping our merchants — entrepreneurs, innovators, brands, and businesses large and small — succeed by providing them with the world’s best digital products, backed by exceptional customer support.
We are a team of 90+ across all departments, with headquarters in Victoria, BC, and remote team members distributed across Canada and beyond.
About the role:
Pixel Union is expanding our Agency team and looking for a QA Specialist with experience shipping web-based products. As our QA Specialist, you’ll work in a key position to have a noticeable impact on both the company and products.
Reporting to our Lead QA in the Agency, you’ll be accountable for testing our products, enabling high-quality work from our team, and ensuring our clients have a fantastic experience with our products. You’ll be hands-on for feature, integration, and release testing, while also contributing to improving our team’s tools and abilities.
Success in this role requires leaving no stone unturned when it comes to planning and executing tests. Your ability to adapt to change and a desire to produce high-quality products for our clients is a key driver of success. You’re an effective communicator and listener. You take a collaborative approach when working with other members of the QA team and other stakeholders. You continuously seek constructive criticism and are open to receiving and incorporating feedback in both technical and non-technical areas.
As a Pixel Union QA Specialist, you’ll…
- Help define, maintain, and uphold our standard of quality by helping to create and follow test plans, report issues, and contribute to documentation and the release process.
- Support others in upholding our standard of quality.
- Represent the end user and our clients, applying a deep understanding of user experience best practices.
- Collaborate with the internal team and other stakeholders to inform requirements early in the product life cycle.
- Balance merchant and business needs, finding the ideal set of tradeoffs for a successful release.
- Be responsible for following our testing processes and tools and collaborating on new and more effective ways to test.
- Communicate feedback and issues in a constructive, solution-oriented way, ultimately decreasing the number of problems our clients and end user encounter.
You’ll use your skills and experience in…
- Testing web-based products for usability, responsiveness, cross-browser support, performance, and accessibility.
- Creating test coverage plans for new features, bug fixes, and ongoing maintenance.
- Creating testing data and test documentation.
- Exploratory testing to identify defects that might be missed with standard test cases.
- Building trust with teammates by being available to manage multiple projects and tasks, finding opportunities to collaborate and help instill our standard of quality across the team.
If you have these skills, that’s a huge plus!
- Experience working with Shopify in any capacity
- Experience in automated testing
- Experience testing ecommerce products
- Experience with development tools like git and the command line
Please include a cover letter with your application – we’d love to better understand your background and experiences. We value diverse perspectives and believe that skills are transferable!
We are a company built on creativity, teamwork, and employee well-being. We trust our team members and encourage them to design their work schedules so that they can get the most out of their day. We value challenging ourselves and others to ask questions that uncover better solutions for the future, and we get joy from being around fun, communication-focused folks who want to make a difference at their work!
Some of our perks include:
- Flexible work schedule and remote-friendly culture and systems
- Providing company hardware and software
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity for growth as the company grows
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Health benefits and RRSP matching
- Company-sponsored wellness allowance
- Generous vacation policy
We bring passion and energy to our work, and believe that work should be rewarding, interesting, and come at a sustainable pace. Our team members can be found across Canada, the U.S. and the UK, and are well-adapted to working from home and the remote lifestyle.
Please note that we will be filling this position within Canada. We look forward to hearing from you!
We thank all who show interest. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.