The tech sector has failed low-income Americans. Technology is generally built by people who have money, for people who have money. That’s because people solve the problems they understand, and with economic inequality only getting worse, most technologists don’t understand the lived experience of those with limited income. At Propel, we’re doing our part to change that. Our first app, Fresh EBT, is used by over 4 million families who get SNAP benefits (also known as food stamps) to manage their benefits, save money, and earn income. Read more about Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re building a new type of bank account specifically for people living on or near the safety net and we need your help.
We’re looking for a Risk Operations Director who is excited to build the entire Risk Operations function from scratch. Our ideal person for this role will be responsible for resolving the most difficult and complex customer issues where there might be financial exposure while deftly balancing business goals, compliance risks, and customer needs. In this role, you’ll also have the opportunity to change the financial services landscape by developing a path that is both rule-oriented and empathetic to the needs of those who are income-constrained.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or other government benefits.
- The opportunity to help scale a brand-new product
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (with the opportunity to work remote past 2021)
What you’ll do:
- Develop procedures and workflows that provide a clear structure for how to resolve Tier 2 issues, which may include disputes, account closures, card reissues, customer refunds, and merchant issues
- Hire, manage and mentor a small but mighty team of Risk Operations Associates
- Collaborate effectively with CX Associates by training them on defined Tier 2 workflows, QA-ing mishandled cases, and monitoring CX queues as needed
- Find opportunities to redesign existing processes in order to improve the customer experience
- Play an instrumental role in a very fast paced product scale-up
What you have:
- 5+ years experience in financial services or operational risk management in a similar environment
- 3+ years experience as an impactful people leader
- 1+ year of experience with disputes, chargebacks, and fraud
- Comfort with fast paced decision making, especially with complex situations
- Creative problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication: Whether over email or on the phone, you are clear and compassionate
- Curious and Scrappy: You’re willing and interested in getting in the weeds of any problem to do some digging and exploring in order to find a solution