Hi, I’m Darlene, Engineering Manager at Customer.io. I’m looking for a product-minded Senior Back-End Engineer to join our Growth team!
We are passionate and highly effective people who believe that embracing unique perspectives is key to our success. We ship fast, with just enough processes to keep us coordinated.
Although we are fast-paced, we don’t look down on quality, both in terms of code and personal life. We are seeking empowered individuals who work collaboratively with their peers on interesting problems, and get those solutions into the hands of customers quickly. We value diversity, attracting the best people in the world to serve as colleagues. Our flexibility and freedom to work from anywhere in the world enables you to craft a work environment in which you can do your best work.
For us, the customer’s growth defines our growth.
We are consistently working to reduce the time customers get product value, provide solutions aligned with their stage and set them up for success.
To achieve that, we touch on different areas of the applications: auth, notifications, internal tooling, and payments.
We understand that you might not have all the skills listed here, but that’s okay. If you have any of the skills listed below and are interested in developing the others, we want to hear from you!
Some things you’ll do
- Be a model and mentor for writing performant, well-tested, and easy-to-understand services in Go.
- Apply your unique perspective to help us define, design, and build the next generation of features and infrastructure needed to help our customers and company to flourish.
- Be part of a small team of developers that value high-quality software, practice continuous improvement, inspire collaboration, and believe in rapid iterative development.
- Bring your technical expertise to solve hard problems, adapt to change as we rapidly grow, and leverage new technologies and best practices.
- Work on projects that directly impact the company’s revenue.
- Has a iterative mindset
- Knows that communication is hard, and compensates that over communicating
- Believes that freedom means responsibility
- Is eager to work on new and hard challenges
What we’re looking for
- A track record of delivering performant and scalable distributed applications on cloud infrastructure, preferably in Go but many of our engineers have succeeded while picking it up on the job.
- Experience working with customers and applying a deep understanding of their needs to produce timely solutions to their real-world problems.
- A collaborative mindset backed by excellent communication skills and a desire to help us make great decisions in an empathetic and respectful way.
- Not being afraid to fail, take risks, and ask for help.
- Comfort working in UNIX environments and applying modern collaborative development practices.
- Experience in working with RDB systems, preferably MySQL.
- Preferably based in North/South American time zones.
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 5,800 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of emails, SMS, push notifications, and in-app messages. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $160,000 – $184,000 USD (or equivalent in local currency) depending on experience and subject to market rate adjustment.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO – we encourage 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 16 weeks paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- 401k retirement matching – up to 5% dollar for dollar match to retirement contributions
- Health and wellness allowance – Up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – Up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – Up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – Up to $300 USD per month for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development – Up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, or workshops – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Opportunities to meet in-person with your peers throughout the year
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete a background check and employment verifications as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below and tell us why you’re interested in the position! ****We plan to respond to all applicants with a status update about your application.
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process:
- 30 minute video call with a Recruiter
- 30 – 45 minute video call with the Hiring Manager
- Take Home Assignment
- Assignment Review Call with two potential team members
- Final Interview