The mission of the GitHub Docs team is to guide everyone who uses GitHub to confidently meet their goals. We’re looking for a Senior Content Designer to help us take GitHub Docs to the next level.
You’ll report to the head of GitHub Docs and work cooperatively with the Docs team to coordinate top-level content designs. These designs incorporate user journeys that are tailored to a range of audiences.
The Docs team is highly distributed and we embrace an environment of asynchronous communication. You’ll need strong communication skills and the ability to build working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As a content designer at GitHub, you’ll understand the value of a feature, what developers need to understand and start using it, and our product goals for discovery, onboarding, and usage. Then, you’ll conceptualize content that communicates that value, helps developers get to work and meets our product goals, work with Docs writers to ship the content, measure the content’s success, and iterate.
If you’re a patient, compassionate writer, or content designer who loves crafting docs that help people use software, we’d like to hear from you!
- Lead the content design for key product areas at GitHub.
- Draft user stories for how a developer uses the docs to understand and get to know and use features.
- Lead user research for our content, particularly on key/strategic feature updates (like GHES 3.0, or GitHub Actions).
- Draft content metrics to guide the content development for writers.
- Prioritize content needs for getting the feature documented/updated/reviewed by the writing team and PMs for the feature area.
- Maintain a holistic understanding of the entire content library.
- Design content for larger projects and break them up into smaller projects that the content writing team helps to implement.
- Move content projects forward in early phases: gather requirements from stakeholders, conduct research, create content design plans
- Review content design plans and mentors writers on content design.
- Work with the content strategist to level up content design skills across the Docs Team.
- Contribute to the content design system.
- Visible across the GitHub org and are the main liaison/touchpoint with Engineering/Product/Design leads and writers.
- Experience working with senior-level staff and lead projects that have multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to create high-quality user-facing content for software products.
- Strong user advocate, especially for new users.
- Ability to compassionately give and receive editorial and technical feedback.
- Strong ability to plan, prioritize, and carry out complex projects with high attention to detail along the way.
- Excellent communication skills, especially when working with a distributed team.
- Comfortable making and owning decisions.
- Ability to take on special projects to help improve the content and design systems for GitHub Docs.
It would be helpful to have
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub
- Experience creating technical content
- Experience working collaboratively with a team of writers or editors
- Curiosity and an interest in solving hard problems collaboratively
Here is an example of what we would expect:
- Month 1, familiarize yourself with the content and information architecture on GitHub Docs. Get to know the Docs Team and their priorities (the team is made up of content writers, strategists, product managers, and engineers).
- Month 2, you’ve taken on a strategic project and are beginning to collaborate across the Docs Team to complete it.
- Months 3 and 4, you’re researching and designing content for new feature ships with the support of writers on the team.
- Month 5, you’re noticeably more comfortable discussing GitHub’s products and users.
- Month 6, you’re regularly contributing to the Docs Team roadmap, taking on and leading projects at the highest level on Docs.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.