Community powers direct relationships and one-on-one conversations between Leaders and their Members through text messaging at scale. Launched in 2019 and headquartered in Santa Monica, Calif., Community is breaking new ground in trusted marketing and communications channels by connecting Leaders–global pop culture stars, local community organizers, small business owners and brands–to their Members to drive conversations that convert into actions, sales, revenue and more.
About the Role and Your Impact
As Senior Counsel, Commercial Transactions you will support the legal function at Community, specifically relating to commercial transactions and agreements, reporting into our Chief Legal and Policy Officer. You will serve as a trusted resource for our team, working to mitigate risk across the business while contributing to a positive, professional and inclusive culture.
You must be strategic and capable of driving decision-making, while also maintaining a willingness to roll up their sleeves on a daily basis. You will manage risk, prepare the company for scale, ensure compliance across all departments, and help to continuously increase efficiencies within the legal department.
What You’ll Do
- Draft, review, interpret, and negotiate agreements covering the full scope of Community’s activities, including corporate and financial transactions, commercial agreements, M&A matters, licensing agreements, service agreements, partnership agreements, sales and marketing agreements, and vendor agreements
- Assist with sales enablement by developing and overseeing streamlined processes, templates, and other materials
- Lead contract management system, including potentially onboarding new software
- Play a key role in the evaluation of potential corporate transactions, due diligence matters, obtaining any governance and/or regulatory approvals, and assist with any post-closing activities
- Maintain up-to-date awareness of current developments in the legal landscape; continually seek out and introduce new trends that could impact the growth and effectiveness of the business
What You’ll Bring
- J.D. and 10+ years of experience
- Admitted to practice in California or eligible for in-house counsel registration
- Experience working in-house at a high-growth startup preferred; experience at a Technology company a must
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- An ability to communicate legal conclusions clearly to those who do not have a legal background
- Self-starter who is able to deliver in a fast-paced environment with minimal oversight and changing priorities
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills; excellent judgment
- Expertise in various collaboration and organizational tools
Community is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We commit ourselves to inclusivity across race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, body size, disability, age, and class – in everything we do.