The world is changing at an accelerating rate. But we cannot take in the information fast enough, let alone make sense of it. We are fundamentally limited by the speed at which we read and write — the speed of human thought. The challenges facing decision-makers today require a radically new technology.
Primer is at the forefront of the natural language processing revolution. Our artificial intelligence platform is capable of reading text at a rate of millions of documents per hour, extracting information and updating a knowledge graph of billions of entities. It is capable of answering natural language questions and generating the first draft of natural language analytical reports in seconds. Our mission is to empower our customers by vastly reducing the cost of curiosity. What once took days of research can happen instantly.
Our customers include some of the world’s largest corporations, financial institutions, and government agencies in the world. You can learn more about Primer’s technology and the problems we solve at our blog, as well as in recent media coverage of our work.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Counsel on a part-time basis to manage all aspects of our operations from a legal and risk perspective. This position will provide proactive, in-depth legal advice to the business and analyze and identify the legal risks and implications of all company transactions. You will examine and draft IT, employment, real estate and vendor contracts, manage copyrights and trademarks, and preserve business records such as minutes of board meetings and resolutions. You will be responsible for the negotiation and management of customer contracts, insurance matters and employee relations. You will ensure legal compliance regarding financing and m&a activity, data privacy, industrial security, and government contracting. You will oversee compliance with corporate governance, and establish the prudence of defending lawsuits and pursuing litigation.
As a rapidly-scaling, global organization, we need an astute, business-minded commercial attorney with the technical acumen to understand our market and the nuances involved with delivering machine learning solutions to a range of customers in multiple jurisdictions.
- The preparation, drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts; including cloud service, software licenses, support & maintenance, and partnership agreements including teaming agreements, reseller agreements, and financing agreements
- Advise the leadership team on legal matters critical to the growth of the business
- Ensure the reliable and timely execution of the company’s day-to-day legal activities
- Strong principled negotiation capabilities with the ability to balance short-term contract requirements with the long term objectives of the business to build a scalable and repeatable contracting process
- Works with outside legal counsel and orchestrates legal processes on behalf of the company in liaison with outside counsel
- J.D. required, eligible to practice for a business with headquarters in California
- 8+ years of legal experience, in-house counsel experience is preferred
- Business minded with strong background in a broad range of contracts including structures for SaaS subscriptions, professional services, and government engagements
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Broad legal knowledge (corporate law, commercial law, litigation, labor law)
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- Location is negotiable however, the ideal candidate must align to Pacific time-zone working hours and may be required to participate in periodic calls with our counterparts in APAC and EMEA
What We Offer
- Rapidly growing company, with plentiful opportunities to grow into leadership roles
- Health, Dental, Vision Benefits
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Smart, passionate co-workers who want to deliver the best outcomes
- An honest and open environment for the exchange of ideas
- Fortune 50 companies and globally recognized institutions as customers
- Learning and teaching opportunities via individual book allowances, tech talks, and brown bag lunches
- Team virtual offsites like escape rooms and company happy hours
- Fun, puzzle-loving office (post covid) in the SF Financial District
Primer is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Please see the United States Department of Labor’s EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.