Contra is an Independent-first community and commission-free hiring platform empowering the future of work. We match Independents with flexible opportunities, and Clients with the perfect Independent for any project — from content creation to coding. We strongly believe that independence isn’t just a gig, it’s a way of life.
We are looking for a Senior Data Analyst to help us build out our data systems and pave the way in making data-driven product decisions.
You will be the first full-time data analytics hire. Your role will be to partner with data engineering and product leaders to establish the best practices for the company, implement it, and (over time) help us to build out the data team. This role will be a mixture of running experiment-based data analyses, building out executive level dashboards, and building out key data models.
How you’ll add value at Contra
- Own all North Star metrics and dashboards (include methodology, underlying models + visualizations)
- Build centralized data tooling to support self-service analytics and data-driven decision making across the organization
- Establish best practices for data analyses, experiments, and
- Develop models to scale key product areas (like matching our independents to job opportunities)
- You have formal education or bootcamp in data analytics – including data visualization, data cleaning, basis statistics understanding, and familiarity with basic ML approaches
- You have strong knowledge of exploratory data analysis techniques and have advanced SQL skills to create and evaluate complex statements involving numerous tables and data relationships
- You are comfortable manipulating data using Python and/or Jupyter notebooks and have an interest in establishing a team that shares reproducible analysis and models
- You have experience driving a hypothesis-based testing approach, can reliably collect data, and make deliberate decisions based on the outcomes of experiments
- You have experience defining data tracking needs and processes
- You can distill complex data into easy to read and interpret dashboard to enable leadership / product teams to gather data insights and monitor KPIs
- You can navigate ambiguity like a champ; as our first data analyst, you’ll be working closely with product and engineering to pave the way for how we use data as an organization
- You are a strong communicator and have the ability to influence decision making with data
- You have a GSD attitude – no task is too small or big to reach best product outcomes
- You have 2+ years experience in a data-oriented role within a fast-paced, hyper collaborative environment
You’ll be successful here if
- Mission driven. Our mission truly resonates with you and you would like to be a part of what we are building together at Contra!
- A dedicated team player. You thrive in a collaborative, remote-only environment and you are comfortable with 8am-12 pm PST core hours!
- Passionate about learning. Share a genuine curiosity for learning, alway eager to pick up new skills. We don’t expect everyone to know everything but you learn quickly!
- Goal oriented. Understand what you need to do in order to achieve your goals without needing all of the bells and whistles.
- Committed to trying. Have the resilience and willingness to try and try again even if you fail after a few attempts!
- Ambitious attitude. You bring a strong work ethic and contagious energy to your team as we work towards our North Star.
- Path Paver. Joining a startup you enjoy taking ownership, building out processes and documentation that might not exist to share with your team members.
How Contra can add value for you:
- 🌎 Remote-only culture that is here to stay
- 🍎 100% health coverage for US full-time employees, and health reimbursements for all international contractors
- 💸 $4,000 laptop reimbursement upon starting + additional equipment, co-working, education, and meetups
- 💰 401k matching for US full-time employees
- 💛 No-meeting Wednesdays
- 🥬 Half days every third Friday of the month to enjoy a long weekend, reduce screen fatigue, and decompress
- 👋 Generous time off — 2 week-long company-wide shutdowns per year, so we can all collectively relax together, in addition to paid time off and flex days to look after your wellbeing.
- 👶 Flexible parental leave
- 🌴 Annual team wide off-site
- 💁 A custom slack emoji, just for you!
- Strong SQL Skills
- Experience with data visualization tools (Looker / LookML a plus)
- Python and data-related libraries
- A/B & Feature Flag Testing
- Familiarity with dbt or other data warehouse modeling methods
- Basic statistics understanding
Our Data Tooling
- Google BigQuery
- TBD [you’ll help us decide what’s next!]
Our interview process
- Intro Call with Talent Lead (30 minutes)
- Functional interview with Senior Data Engineer (45 minutes)
- Interview with Head of Product (30 minutes)
- Non-technical Culture interview with our Head of Operations (30-45 minutes)
- Paid Case Study + Presentation to our Head of Product and Senior Data Engineer (30 minutes)
- Interview with Founders (30 minutes)
- $150k – $175k USD
- Equity Value Range: $72,000 – $180,000 USD
🚀 Contra is looking for self-motivated, open-minded, and eager folks to join our growing team.
We’ve put together a pretty special global team — we’re not limited by location, so everyone on our team has unique backgrounds and experiences that have shaped our company culture for the better. Everyone who joins Contra adds another special dimension to that culture, so we’re looking for folks that have an additive mindset, and want to participate in building both a great product, and a great place to work. While past titles, years of experience, and educational opportunities have taught us all valuable lessons, they’re not used as hiring criteria. If you’re motivated by our mission and owning impactful projects, then Contra is the place for you.
If you’ve made it this far, we want to talk to you! Even if you do not think that you meet all of the requirements in the job posting, we really encourage you to take the leap and apply anyway. Surprise yourself! The best is yet to come ✨
Contra is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing its team members with a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Contra are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, regardless of race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, pregnancy, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Learn more about Contra
Contra on TikTok (our target audience is Gen Z)
Ben on Twitter (our Co-Founder, CEO)
Gajus on Twitter (our Co-Founder, CTO)