Guru is seeking an experienced Data Engineer to advance our data pipeline enabling our business analytics, customer-facing analytics, and machine learning product features. The Data Engineer will be a member of the Data Infrastructure team and work to integrate numerous data systems into a unified data lake and data warehouse capable of serving business intelligence and machine learning algorithms. You will demonstrate your data architecture knowledge to become quickly comfortable with our data, be fully committed to data quality, develop scalable data pipelines, and design a data warehouse with efficient data models for querying that data. The Data Engineer will collaborate with our business analytics team, data scientists, and software engineers in building and optimizing an innovative product that our customers love to use every day.
At Guru your voice will be heard and respected. One of our core values is “Learn and Grow” as we seek to reflect on past projects to find opportunities to learn how we can better communicate and work more effectively as a team. We actively promote a healthy work life balance especially during the global pandemic as we realize for many life and work are intertwined more than ever.
This job is not only about how well you develop; it’s about how you lend your positivity and presence, combined with your skill set to an energized environment and highly collaborative team. Strong sense of humor required, sarcasm detection skills a plus.
As a Senior Data Engineer, your responsibilities will include:
- Building data pipelines to move data from internal and external data sources into a data lake and data warehouse
- Aligning overall data architecture with business requirements
- Data modeling and table design for AWS Redshift data warehouse
- Establishing the principles of data quality management, including metadata, lineage, and business definitions
- Developing monitoring and alerting capabilities to monitor ETL jobs
- Preparing data for building machine learning models
- Working with multiple stakeholders to support their data infrastructure needs
- Providing technical guidance to team members.
- 4+ years of experience with data engineering concepts and database design
- 2+ years experience with big data technologies (e.g. Spark, Hadoop, HDFS, Kafka)
- 2+ Experience with AWS cloud services: S3, EC2, EMR, Aurora, Redshift
- Hands-on experience with schema design and data modeling preferably with AWS Redshift
- Advanced working SQL knowledge, including performance tuning
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- Programming proficiency in Scala/Java or Python
- Proficiency using version control systems like Git
- Strong communication skills
- Willing to work in a collaborative environment
- Ability to adapt to changing technology
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
Preferred but not required:
- 2+ year experience working on streaming data applications (Spark Streaming, Kafka, Kinesis, and Flink)
- Experience with dashboarding tools and data visualization
- Experience with workflow scheduling (such as Airflow)
- Experience with ETL and/or other integration tooling (DMS/Stitch).
- Experience with data analysis and visualization tools (Mode).
Benefits to you:
- Competitive salary
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Generous health, wellness, and commuter benefits
- The chance to contribute to an upbeat, fully engaged culture
Guru is a dynamic, fast growing start-up based in Philadelphia and San Francisco. Our mission is to reinvent the way people connect with meaningful information at work. Guru’s knowledge management solution provides customer-facing teams access to expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. We believe in cultivating a welcoming, inclusive culture that encourages personal growth through working hard and having fun.
Launched in September 2015, our vision is backed by an amazing group of investors including FirstMark Capital, Salesforce, Michael Dell, the Slack Fund, Emergence Capital, Thrive Capital and Accel. As we enter the next exciting stage of expansion, we’re searching for passionate individuals to join our rapidly growing team.
This is a full-time position that can be Remote or based out of our Philadelphia or San Francisco offices. Re-location and/or Visa Sponsorship is not included in our hiring package. Applicants will need to be authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. All are welcome here. At Guru, being inclusive is very important to us. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran status or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.