Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for everyone. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the thoughtful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We draw from the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Senior Data Science Engineer who will focus on data science consulting and data infrastructure.
About the Role:
Code for America builds technology to make government services work for those who need them most. The Data Science Team helps to define problems and discovers opportunities for all four CfA programs: GetCalFresh (food stamps), ClearMyRecord (automatic record clearance), GetYourRefund (tax benefits), and Integrated Benefits (combined safety net applications). The Data Science Team also supports the Brigades, Marketing, and Development in order to help expand CfA’s nationwide volunteer network, to share our findings about what works in government programs, and to raise money to expand our efforts.
This position requires a self-starter who finds satisfaction in being helpful, whether that’s improving outcomes for those we serve through analyses, building tools to help others do their jobs more easily, or simply advising a team on how to collect and use data.
This role is remote, is a full-time opportunity, and reports to the Data Science Director.
In this position you will:
The responsibilities for this position fall under two categories: data science consulting and data infrastructure.
- Data science consulting: Help teams identify how to better use data to support their goals
- Help teams translate near-term interests and goals into questions and identify pragmatic ways to answer those questions
- Support internal or external teams by improving how they access, query, and display data (e.g., transforming values to facilitate easier querying, building reusable templates, helping with reporting plug-ins)
- Help teams think strategically about how they may want to use data down the road
- Occasionally, support internal or external teams with more specialized data tasks, such as modeling or estimation
- Data infrastructure: enable self-service analytics and reporting, support tool standardization, and help share infra lessons across teams
- Build pipelines to link data across tools so that in-house users can do their own querying and reporting
- Understand needs of key users, work with engineering to evaluate tools, potential pipeline changes, and integrations (changes to mission critical systems will be made by engineering)
- Help teams think through ethical implications of how they are collecting, storing, and using data
- Participating in planning discussions with engineering and product managers to determine where data will be stored
- Optimizing existing data pipelines with an eye on performance and reliability
- Implement monitoring and logging of data transformation pipelines
- Design and implement secure cloud computing environments for data analysis
While there are immediate projects to take on, in the long run, you will need to understand the priorities of the CfA teams you support in order to balance near-term work against longer-term tooling and infrastructure improvements.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- A thought partner: Enjoys getting to better ideas through discussion, is able to think clearly and systematically and is able to convey that thinking
- Motivated by being helpful: Is glad to deliver useful results regardless of how technically challenging (and especially, not challenging) a task might be
- Pragmatic: Can prioritize in light of the organization’s goals and explain those priorities to colleagues, prefers getting to “good enough” on a few projects rather than “perfect” on a single project
- Versatile: Extremely flexible with tools and willing to learn enough about a new tool to get something working, capable of quickly scoping and designing new projects, comfortable managing a portfolio of projects
- Expert fluency with Python or R
- Deep, varied experience with data wrangling and data management
- Experience with a variety of data infrastructures and data integration challenges
- At least 3-5 years of highly relevant experience
We’re looking for someone who is curious about people, technology systems, and government, but excited to solve real world problems. We strongly value empathy, initiative, and pragmatism.
It’s a bonus point if you have:
- Personal experience with the justice system, social safety net, workforce training, or other mission-relevant government services.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from ($120,700 – $163,300) in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. That target for this role is $136,675. These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/ Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.