Senior Data Science IDE Developer
RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions. Our core offering is an open source data science toolchain; as a Public Benefit Corporation, we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
About the team:
You have considerable primary data analysis experience and you’ve written R for use by others, usually in the form of R packages or other data science products (Shiny apps, plumber APIs, etc.). In your data science practice, you’ve discovered a love of software engineering and now have a foot firmly in both worlds. You have some experience developing in C++ or Java. You share our commitment to building great software, and you have an appreciation for clean code that is easy to understand.
What you’ll own:
- You’ll drive the development of data-science-focused tools within the IDE and generally champion improvements to the IDE to support fluid data science workflows. You’ll build many of those features, primarily in C++ and Java with a fair amount of R. Help make RStudio the IDE for R you’ve always wanted!
- the interface between C++ and R in our codebase, based on your experience with Rcpp and a fundamental understanding of how R works under the hood
- development of the RStudio API
- development of RStudio R packages used by the IDE
- the team’s primary voice / interface to data scientists and the desktop user community
- our team’s interactions with the R development community; you’ll monitor changes in R and make sure the IDE supports new R versions
- the team’s interactions with R developers across RStudio, gathering IDE feedback from the largest team of R package developers anywhere.
What you’ll help with:
- User interface design for the desktop
- Prioritization of IDE-related features
- Supporting open-source and enterprise IDE users
What you’ll teach:
- Based on your experience developing R packages, you’ll be the team’s expert in R package development and the use of R within IDE features
- You’ll help the team understand how data scientists work, bringing a deep understanding of our target audience to the team
What you’ll learn:
- Advanced C++ and Java
- Practical experience in the software development discipline needed to build large-scale applications used by millions
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching / retirement plan matching in some other countries
- A home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- A profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.