As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the Brand Design Team
We’re taking what it means to be a designer in media to new heights by building a best-in-class cross-disciplinary design team at Vox Media, from our Product Design team that builds the best platform for digital publishing in the industry, to our Brand Design Team that works across a suite of powerhouse editorial networks, to our Revenue Design Team that designs beautiful ad products and partners with our sponsors. Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. At Vox Media, you can be part of a remote friendly culture with people in New York, DC, San Francisco, Austin, New Orleans, and quite a few cities in between. Our jobs are well compensated and come with excellent and progressive benefits—including flexible hours, generous paid parental leave, and trans-inclusive healthcare.
About the Role
The Brand Design team is responsible for creating brand extensions for the Vox Media and New York Magazine editorial properties and corporate lines of business across a wide range of immersive projects. We’re looking for a Senior Designer who is curious, thoughtful, has experience thinking a project through holistically from all perspectives, and shows passion from the details to a project’s larger scope. This role will provide an opportunity to interact with a wide range of partners and pitch from ideation to project completion.
What you’ll do
- Partner with Senior Design Directors, support the design team, work with copywriters and creative colleagues across the organization on brand systems, logos, environmental graphics, podcast campaigns, and marketing materials
- Exceptional design skills that exhibit the ability to articulate a conceptual ideas and sell them convincingly to a room
- Create compelling designs that excite a team and prototype ideas into smart solutions while bringing a fresh graphic approach that speaks to the ethos of brands within the organization
- Demonstrate design rigor in building a cohesive brand system, paying close attention to the details in typography and pushing for strong graphic communication
- Explore unique creative solutions across a wide range of visual techniques including design, illustration, animation, gifs, and photography, while being able to tap into an external network of creatives to enhance an experience further
- Create design systems and guidelines to insure continuity and brand cohesion across multiple platforms and touch points
- Build collaborative relationships with stakeholders and partners, and inspire teams around a creative vision
- Enforce and model the expected behaviors listed in our Code of Conduct and our Design Principles
What you’ll bring
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in the field of media, journalism, entertainment, advertising or any related large scale pop culture brand
- A degree in graphic design, visual communication or another related design discipline
- A design portfolio that shows conceptual thinking, exceptional design skills, and a fluency in typography, layout, hierarchy, color and visual expression
- Stamina for meticulous attention to detail and extensive iteration resulting in error proof files at the completion of a project
- Ability to develop and implement scalable brand design systems in service to a well articulated strategy. Be comfortable with changes based on client or business needs.
- Showcase strong communication skills when presenting work and create supportive compelling case studies
- Exercise a strong knowledge of current design trends with a curiosity for new techniques and fresh approaches
- Understand trends in social media and how brands should engage authentically
- Ability to define and solve problems, work independently while taking feedback from stakeholders
- Possess a fluency with design software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects and Figma). Basic coding knowledge, and familiarity with web design tools (Sketch, Invision, Splash), are a plus
- Experience working with photographers, Illustrators and a strong network of creative collaborators
- Enthusiasm and excitement in media and journalism, and how it translates to society through design
- Ability to thrive in an environment of rapid growth within a matrixed organization and a willingness to participate in the Design Organization at large
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.