Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Senior Director, Government Revenue who will lead our org-wide efforts to diversify our revenue, focusing on our government partners.
About the Role:
You will build and lead a new government revenue function and team at Code for America. Our organization has grown significantly over the past few years, and with a larger budget and programmatic commitments, we must diversify our primarily philanthropic revenue base to include more government revenue, especially federal and state, which in turn would allow for growth capital to further expand and scale our impact.
You will be responsible for building and leading Code for America’s government revenue function, partnering with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Revenue Officer, Chief Technology Officer, and additional senior leaders to develop overall government revenue strategy with a primary focus on earned revenue and lead the day-to-day operations of the government revenue team. This role reports to the Chief Program Officer.
In this position you will:
- Lead, develop, and execute Code for America’s government revenue strategy (with a focus on earned revenue)
- Oversee, define, and build every aspect of the government revenue capability/function within Code for America in a mission-aligned way. This includes identifying if and when we’re off course, and making adjustments as needed to stay on track
- Manage that capability/function day-to-day to achieve the revenue goals, which includes activities such as sourcing and monitoring a pipeline of opportunities, conducting market research, developing and managing the end-to-end process drafting proposals and scoping, interfacing with internal stakeholders on staffing, managing government relationships, managing pricing, discounting, and deals, and qualifying Code for America on various government procurement and contracting vehicles
- Influence federal, state, and local government’s approach to procuring for technology to be more human-centered, agile, and outcomes-focused
- Oversee the annual goal-setting (OKR) and budget-setting processes for government revenue
The position is a perfect fit for an experienced government revenue professional who is excited about building a new capability/function, makes data-driven decisions, and thrives in a mission-driven, fast-paced, growing organization.
- You have experience with a mix of sales, business development, procurement, pipeline management, and contracts, across federal, state, and local levels
- You have sold and/or delivered B2B and/or B2C IT products and services to government
- You have sold and/or delivered consulting and advisory services to government, ideally at the intersection of IT and at least one of Code for America’s focus areas (social safety net, criminal justice, tax benefits)
- You have built out and led government revenue teams with direct people management experience
- You thrive in an early stage, entrepreneurial, and fast paced environment
- You are mission-driven, collaborative, and empathetic
It’s a bonus points if:
- You are familiar with the civic tech / digital services ecosystem and understand the movement, culture, history, and dynamics
- You have experience with government revenue in at least one of Code for America’s verticals (social safety net, tax benefits, criminal justice)
- You have delivered products or services, especially in IT or technology products to government
- You are very comfortable setting and delivering on revenue goals
- You have experience navigating a consensus-driven, inclusive, build-it-together team culture, with an experienced set of influencing tactics and change management tools to draw from as you build out a new capability/function
What you’ll get:
Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires.
The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range from $139,953 to $171,325.
Benefits and perks:
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (DE&I)
- A collaborative, cross-functional, hardworking and fun environment
- Medical & Retirement:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds up to 3%
- Professional development:
- Bi annual 360 review process alongside compensation reviews
- $1000 annual (per calendar year) stipend towards professional development
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Flexible Time:
- Flexible Paid Time Off policy
- Flexible working hours- we aim to hold all internal meetings between 10 AM – 3 PM PT
- Employee enablement support:
- $200 stipend in first paycheck for remote environment setup
- Additional equipment reimbursement of up to $500 for remote enablement
- Cell phone and/or internet reimbursement of up to $50 per month
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.