Looking to spread your wings?
Join our Google-owned, Austin-based game studio and help us make absurd and highly polished VR for Everyone!
We offer an outstanding fully remote working environment focused on collaboration and personal growth, with a positive work/life balance and excellent benefits.
Owls in this role design, implement, and maintain game mechanics, tools, and systems at a high level with a strong degree of ownership.
- Create playable prototypes from scratch, independently or as part of a team
- Quickly and effectively iterate on systems, features, and interactions throughout the course of development at many different levels of quality (from quick and dirty prototypes to fully polished and shippable)
- Take ownership of complex features and tasks, potentially involving multiple Owls, ensuring owned systems can be maintained and providing technical and design leadership
- Collaborate with (or act as) Owners to break down large deliverables into more discrete tasking and provide accurate estimates to Stakeholders
- Seek and integrate feedback from a variety of stakeholders – including playtests
- Assist other developers with their work as needed
- Follow best practices, development processes, and coding standards
- Collaborate with owls like QA, Art, Audio, Design, and Writing to meet task goals and determine code requirements
- Keep up to date on the latest in development practices for Unity and VR
- Assist with development of internal tools and processes as needed
- Learn and utilize platform SDKs and third party packages as needed
- Deep knowledge of C# and Unity
- Clear and proactive communicator
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Two years of related experience
- Has deployed a game or application to one or more platforms
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Cross/Multi-platform development experience
- Production experience (managing and maintaining lists of deliverables, timelines, and any alterations thereof over the course of development)
- Appreciation of puns (or at least the ability to groan at them)
- Owls must be able to use virtual reality headsets but are not expected to own one.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a remote full-time, 40-hours per week position. Core hours of work are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m Central Time.
For Owls working outside of the Austin, TX area, travel to Austin may be required 4 to 6 times per year. Additionally, we typically encourage owls to attend a conference annually for personal growth and development.
We care about creating “VR for Everyone” – and that includes creating a welcoming workplace for everyone.
Owlchemy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Other Skills and Responsibilities:
This job description doesn’t cover or contain a comprehensive listing of everything you might do at Owlchemy. As a small team of wildly talented individuals, we encourage career growth, exploration, and the wearing of many hats. As such, roles and responsibilities are collaborative and may change or evolve over time based on our needs and your particular skill set.
- 20 days of vacation to start
- Unlimited sick days
- School loan repayment assistance
- New parent benefits
- Health Care
- Retirement Plan
- Relocation Assistance (should you want to move to Austin, TX!)