Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
About the Team
Etsy is looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to lead our new Payments API & Data team.
The Payments team at Etsy is committed to creating and maintaining a resilient, frictionless and scalable payments platform. Available in 45 countries, Etsy Payments enables buyers and sellers to transact in 21 currencies and offers 12 different methods to pay for items on our site.
Our API & Data team is responsible for the technical vision, development, and maturation of our API strategy for Payments. We work with internal and external customers to build scalable, well-governed payments interfaces with vocabularies that are easy to understand.
It’s an exciting environment with the opportunity to effect change on an Etsy-sized scale!
You will work in tandem with our product management and design teams to provide a great payments API experience for our partners.
This is a full-time role based in Brooklyn, NY or remote.
For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the Role
- You will be responsible for building and managing a new team of 6 to 8 engineers and will partner with recruiting and the rest of the management team to establish this new squad.
- You will serve as a coach, mentor, and advocate for the engineers on your team.
- This role will work with other leaders across Etsy engineering and product to develop and evolve our Payments API & Data strategy while managing delivery across your team’s portfolio.
- Your team operates critical systems that process billions of dollars in payments.
- You will collaborate with other engineering teams to make effective use of our infrastructure, as well as with other product teams that are building on our payments platform.
- Background in managing public-facing API projects and/or API Lifecycle management.
- You have experience in e-commerce. Working with transactional data, including payments systems, ledger systems, and tax collection, reporting and remittance platforms is a strong plus.
- You have a strong technical background building high availability systems that operate at scale.
- You are an experienced engineering manager able to build inclusive teams from the ground up.
- You are comfortable working with multiple stakeholders as well as external partners and can clearly articulate risks and dependencies on projects.
- We value people who are curious, enthusiastic, generous, and responsible.
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.