SENIOR FINANCIAL ANALYST
Join the Wikimedia Foundation in our ambitious project to empower people to create and share the sum of all human knowledge. We are looking for an experienced Sr. Financial Analyst (or Sr. Finance Business Partner) to join our Financial Planning & Analysis team, reporting to the Sr. Manager, Finance. As the Sr. Financial Analyst, you will be the primary point of contact for our legal and other departments within the Foundation. You will develop an in-depth understanding of the investment programs of the departments that you support to provide analytical insight into the financial data for different managers and program owners. As the Finance Business Partner you will help enable those departments to leverage financial insights, data-driven decision making, and evaluation of impact to improve their performance. You will support the Foundation’s goal of becoming a model for financial planning, analysis, and reporting across the Wikimedia movement by standardizing, improving, and maintaining the Foundation’s financial management practices and processes.
This role is remote and open to candidates between UTC-8 to UTC-4
Financial Business Partnership
- Guide C-suite members and department leaders in resource decision-making processes by performing data-driven analysis.
- Advise on key financial planning assumptions, prioritization of programs/projects, trade-offs and opportunities.
- Build relationships across a globally distributed organization and serve as a trusted advisor to departmental leadership.
- Facilitate and lead department budgeting, projections, and planning processes.
- Lead on strategic projects and deliver results (for example: build resource allocation models, establish SROI measures).
Business Analysis & Reporting
- Analyze investment relative to impact of global programs related to free knowledge defence, advocacy, public policy, and community engagement that support projects with more than 20 billion views per month.
- Support C-suite members and departments in operationalizing business strategies by analyzing resource plans and their alignment with our strategic business objectives.
- Synthesize operational resource plans with business strategies and present this information to senior leaders, including the CFO.
- Interpret, explain and drive performance in departments by executing month-end closing, forecasting and analysis processes.
- Design and implement operational processes to ensure compliance with financial reporting and accounting standards.
- Develop and maintain reporting dashboards and visualization of reporting information for month-end close, program evaluation and financial planning processes.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree + 5 years of relevant experience or an MBA/Masters degree +3 years of experience
- Experience in FP&A, Business Analytics, Accounting, Program Management or similar
- Experience with financial planning, analysis and reporting
- Experience managing cross-functional projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with non-finance users
- Ability to understand and meet the needs of management and C-suite stakeholders
- Strong analytical skills and ability to communicate complex financial concepts to a variety of people
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities including urgent tasks
- Function in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
Qualities that are important to us:
- You love solving problems, and understand the connections between micro decisions and the macro systems.
- You are highly data driven and analytical.
- You believe in the mission of the Foundation and are excited to dig into numbers and processes to support that mission.
- You enjoy collaborating with a range of stakeholders, and you value knowledge sharing, and collaboration.
- You are capable of working with distributed teams using asynchronous and synchronous methods.
- You are a proactive problem solver and take initiative in identifying needs and taking action prior to being asked.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and are able to adapt to a rapidly changing business environment.
- You thrive in a results-oriented culture that favors collaborative decision making.
- You have strong time management skills and plan and prioritize work to accomplish all tasks.
- You are a flexible and creative individual capable of managing multiple priorities and projects in a diverse environment while providing top level attention to detail, and ensuring work is complete.
Additionally, we’d love if you have:
- Previous work experience with Workday Adaptive Planning preferred.
- Understanding of the free culture, free software, or online rights movements.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.