Truss is tackling tough technical problems for the private sector and government (primarily federal, but also state and local). We implement and advocate modern development practices to build software and streamline infrastructure. As a Truss engineer you will facilitate bringing our values to our clients and help drive toward understanding what their end users truly need.
We are seeking empathetic, driven, curious, and quick-learning engineers to join our team. A position with Truss will allow you to develop a rich skill-set working in an energetic yet balanced environment with a cross-functional team of curious, helpful people.
Here’s what we hope you’ll bring:
- Great communication! Including thoughtful listening skills, the ability to express complex ideas clearly, and the ability to communicate well in writing.
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative and positive mindset.
- Excitement to experiment with new technologies and best practices.
- Interest in mentorship and teaching others how to maintain software projects.
- The ability to think holistically about software delivery and engineering issues.
- Have worked on one or more production ready systems.
- Experience leading and actively mentoring junior engineers.
- Experience solving problems with a technology-agnostic approach.
We recognize Infrastructure engineering is a breadth discipline where folks bring different strengths and interests and no one is an expert in everything. We would like you to have 3 years of experience with with 3-4 of the following:
- Basic network administration: VPCs, subnets, firewalls, load balancers, etc.
- Can build and deploy serverless functions, simple web applications, or API endpoints.
- Agile delivery practices.
- Human centered design (HCD) research practices.
- Automation first approach to testing, deployment, maintenance, etc.
- Managing AWS (or Azure, GCP, etc.) using Infrastructure as Code (e.g., Terraform, CloudFormation, etc.) or other configuration management tooling.
- Building, testing, and distributing container images or orchestrating long-lived instances.
- Configuring and managing CI/CD pipelines.
- Database administration or object storage lifecycle management.
- Configuring and managing monitoring, metrics, tracing, and alerts.
- Incident response and/or disaster recovery.
- Familiarity with the NIST SP 800-53 and Federal ATO (Authorization to Operate) requirements.
- Balancing security and compliance needs and requirements and ensuring thorough documentation.
- Engaging with customer feedback to adapt technical and security requirements.
- Researching and evaluating software, hardware, and services solutions against the operating environment and providing recommendations to management.
- Conducting vulnerability scans or penetration tests against networks or systems.
- Working with government agencies on their systems or products for them.
In this position you will:
- Actively share your knowledge and experiences with teammates through pairing or demos or talks or documentation.
- Deliver timely, high quality solutions to specific engineering problems.
- Mentor L1-L3 InfraSec engineers through active pairing and project design.
- Actively write new documentation and continually improve existing documentation.
- Plan complex projects and define smaller pieces of collaborative work for your team.
- Work cross-functionally on project teams to form and drive technical decisions to completion.
- Represent our practice and automation on projects.
- Build and maintain infrastructure as code to automate the configuration, provisioning, deployment, and monitoring of core systems.
- Build reliable, repeatable, and secure production infrastructure.
- Maintain production systems and investigate issues when they occur.
- Think holistically about engineering issues, using engineering fundamentals.
- Share experiences and collaborate with other seasoned infrastructure and security engineers to expand the InfraSec practice skill set.
- Learn to set up a technical project/product for adoption on other teams and projects.
- Contribute to and create open sourced Terraform modules and tools.
- Collaborate with our clients and partners to invent, implement, and deploy new systems and improvements to existing systems.
The salary range for this position is $166,500 – $192,500.
You must be eligible to work in the US. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
** A note from Truss: We know you’re likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 and other events – we’re experiencing it, too. During video interviews, you’ll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids and pets are home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little…harried. It’s OK if you are, too – we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **