Location: Remote (USA Only); align with Pacific time working hours as needed
WellSaid Labs is looking to hire a Senior/Lead Product Designer to join our growing Product team. WellSaid Labs gives a Voice to everyone’s story by scaling voice production.
We’re building the next generation platform for voice on-demand. As the Lead Product Designer, you have the opportunity to have a significant impact and make your mark.
This is not a support role; you will be hands-on. As a manager of one, you’ll set design strategy direction, take ownership, make calls, and see things through without a lot of oversight. You’ll be able to communicate clearly with your colleagues, work across teams, and lend a helping hand when needed. You’ll understand our customers’ problems/needs and use user-centered design processes, systemic thinking, and interaction design principles to create and launch simple, elegant solutions.
As the Lead Designer, you’ll design and craft the customer experience of our voice Studio editing suite through strong rationale and visualization skills working closely with product and technology partners along the way. This position is responsible for leading customer research, concepting, information architecture development, visual and interaction design to create powerful digital experiences. You will get your hands dirty in all aspects of the end-to-end experience design including using storyboards, journey maps, flow diagrams, wireframes, interactive prototypes, and high fidelity well annotated mockups to illustrate design ideas and direction with a solid understanding of available client-side technologies.
You love writing, too. You understand that copywriting is design. The words matter as much as the pixels. Great visuals with weak words are poor designs. You should care about how things are phrased as much as you care about how they look.
One more thing: While you may not be an AI expert, you are a tech enthusiast/creative at heart. This is a key requirement to become a contributing member of WellSaid. Our customers are creating next-generation content, experiences, and products, and you will be there to design the customer experience for them to achieve their creative goals.
Who we are:
Our startup spun out from Paul Allen’s Institute for AI (AI2) in 2018, where we developed a state-of-the-art deep learning model that can read text in a completely human-like voice.
We firmly believe in AI for good. Creatives around the globe use Studio to create compelling employee training, design unique digital experiences, and narrate audiobooks. We enable creatives by putting high-tech, human parity technology into their hands, giving them the ability to add voice-over to any project and iterate with ease.
Technology should be empowering, engaging, and fair to all people. Through consent and transparency in data usage, we build secure systems that protect user privacy. We strive to hold ourselves accountable for the algorithms we deploy, and we uphold the principles of the Hippocratic Oath.
Our work has been featured in TechCrunch (1, 2, 3), GeekWire (1, 2, 3), CNN, MIT Technology Review, Venture Beat and we are one of three Seattle companies to make CB Insights’ list of the top 100 world’s most promising AI startups.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the design strategy and execution of new enterprise web/mobile features and experiences.
- Build the design system, style guides, and UI library to ensure innovation and execution of top notch design.
- Craft beautifully simple UI/UX that is highly accessible for a wide spectrum of users.
- Plan, prioritize, coordinate user research, conceptual modeling, information architecture design, interaction design, and usability testing.
- Design and specify information architecture, microinteractions, and user interfaces using participatory and iterative design techniques, including observational studies, customer interviews, usability testing, competitive audits, market research, and other forms of requirements discovery.
- Quickly and iteratively produce personas, ecosystem/conceptual diagrams, customer journey maps, interaction flows, storyboards, wireframes, visual mockups, design annotations, prototypes, or design specifications.
- Effectively synthesize and communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and through execution.
- Independently drive the design review cycle and close on design requirements.
- Manage the design process, drive decisions, track issues, and assist in estimating resource needs and schedules in an agile environment.
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to ensure that design requirements are achieved.
- Participate as a contributor to a cross functional team that includes other designers, product, engineers, and voice machine learning engineers.
- Present and tell the story of your designs and rationale to customers, team members, and leadership.
- Plan and facilitate collaborative work sessions with all levels of the customer organization.
- Support front end development throughout the entire design > dev > deploy process.
What We’re Looking For:
- 6+ years of experience designing complex consumer-facing and/or enterprise digital products, mobile, and web experiences
- 3+ years of experience leading design teams as a UX, product or interaction design manager
- Bachelor’s Degree in in Design, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- A strong portfolio of personal and team design work that demonstrates human-centered design process and business success and cross-collaboration with Product, Engineering, Marketing, Sales
- Experience hiring and leading design teams that deliver end to end experiences (user flows, wireframes, prototypes, high-fidelity visuals)
- Bring deep expertise in UX design (frameworks, interaction models, prototypes, research)
- Proficiency with design and prototyping tools such as AdobeCC, Sketch, Pixate, Figma, and Framer, with an ability and openness to come up to speed with new emerging technologies quickly; expertise in Figma required
- A systems thinker who identifies and abstracts repeatable design patterns and guidance
- To think big, framing designs in the context of the broader customer experience, and are equally comfortable diving deep into the details
- Wise decision maker and prioritize effectively. Use data to inform your decisions, weigh the impact and tradeoffs of decisions, and seek input where needed to drive alignment
- Success delivering product/service in a high-growth environment, exhibiting strong ability to identify and solve ambiguous customer-focused problems
- Proactively plan ahead, look around corners, and can see the next step, bias for action
- Influencer of design direction while welcoming a healthy debate and bringing people along
- Drive and evangelize product design consistency through the governance and evolution of component-based design systems and adapting/creating brand guidelines to create scalable systems
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation/storytelling skills
- Experience working in startups and fast paced large corporations (at-scale products)
- Experience with SaaS applications
What To Expect From Us
- Please submit your resume and portfolio. If your skills, experience, and values match, you’ll hear from us about advancement to the interview stage. All interviews will be remote.
- An initial “phone” screen with the hiring manager (30 minutes); if there’s a match we’ll schedule an interview loop and portfolio presentation with the team.
- Interview loop with 3-4 interviews (1 hour each)
- Portfolio presentation to the interviewing team (1 hour)
- >>Demonstrates a passion for digital product development
- >>Exhibits stylistic breadth, attention to detail, and balances beauty, innovation, simplicity, and usability
- >>Shows experience with complex enterprise products
- >>Proves facility in translating high level ideas into unique visual styles and simple user interfaces, and breaking those down to an elemental level.
- >>Shows experience building design systems from the ground up
Your Perks and Benefits
- Remote-first company culture
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy/paid time off
- Flexible schedules
- 401(k) with matching contributions by WellSaid Labs
- Parental leave
- Learning & development stipend
- Home office stipend
We appreciate your consideration. We look forward to hearing from you!
WellSaid Labs is honored to be an equal opportunity workplace. We realize that by bringing together teams rich in diverse thoughts and experiences, our people, company, and customers are free to flourish. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation or gender identity), age, marital status, disability, military or veteran status; or any other protected classifications or characteristics under applicable local laws. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Is this role not an exact fit?
Email WSLCareers@wellsaidlabs.com to stay in touch, we’ll let you know when we have new positions on the team!