Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
We are seeking a Senior Organizer who will play a key role in scaling Code for America’s GetYourRefund program, that provides Americans with access to the tax benefits they need.
About the Role:
The Tax Benefits team currently has two products: GetYourRefund.org and GetCTC.org. GetYourRefund.org is a product that connects taxpayers with free, IRS-certified tax preparation services through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. The product is part of a Code for America program aimed particularly at supporting those who are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) but are not currently receiving it. GetCTC.org is a tool offered in collaboration with the White House and U.S. Department of the Treasury to help non-filers directly access the CTC. Together, these efforts help people file their taxes online and get their refunds — at a time when people need flexible cash more than ever. Read more about the work here.
This role will be crucial to supporting the GetYourRefund team, VITA partner organizations, volunteers, and clients. You’ll be responsible for driving a people-powered strategy that can help scale our GetYourRefund efforts by recruiting and supporting volunteers, working closely with partner organizations to create new infrastructure for scale, and building the community of people making tax preparation free and easy to use. For an impressive example of the nature of this work, read this article to see how our Brigade Network volunteers recently helped scale GetYourRefund.
The Senior Organizer for Tax Benefits will report to the Senior Program Director for Tax Benefits and work particularly closely with the GetYourRefund product team.
In this position you will:
- Recruit, train, manage, and support hundreds of tax benefit volunteers;
- Create projects, trainings, and resources for volunteers and partners;
- Co-develop and implement long-term strategy to leverage people power to support our tax benefit product and partners;
- Organize regional and national events, trainings, and workshops, both in-person and remotely;
- Assist in developing and implementing program goals and strategy;
- Draft communications including emails, blogs, online resources, presentations, trainings, and one-pagers;
- Manage a team of short-term contractors and temporary staff during peak tax season;
- Represent the program internally and externally including with funders and partners;
- Identify goals, track metrics, develop impact measures, and report on results;
- Travel up to 20% of the time (post Covid, when it is safe to do so).
The position is a perfect fit for an experienced organizer who knows how to empower others and rally them behind a shared goal. You have strong project management skills, are highly efficient, learn quickly, love process design and follow-up, and could sell sand on the beach. You lead with a high degree of emotional intelligence, love collaboration, and believe in the power of volunteers, organizing, and movements.
- 3+ years of experience in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, either as a staff member or volunteer;
- Experience managing and coaching staff and volunteers to hit ambitious goals, developing people all the while;
- Comfortable speaking in large groups, facilitating meetings and delivering presentations;
- Skilled communicator with strong interpersonal skills who will work collaboratively and effectively as a member of a distributed team;
- Experience with meeting preparation including agenda setting, materials preparation and logistical considerations;
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced work environment, staying calm and upbeat while working under pressure and with tight deadlines;
- A commitment to integrity, inclusion, compassion, and totally crushing it on the job;
- Take ownership of and initiative in everything you do, and understand how to work in a team;
- Are a natural people-person who fosters trust and knows how to mentor junior staff as well as volunteers;
- Enjoy big organizing challenges and are enthusiastic about experimenting and learning from mistakes, but also respect metrics and outcomes;
- Are detail-oriented, highly responsive, and systems focused;
- Are a talented and persuasive writer and speaker;
- Are a task-master who can juggle high volume of work, while staying focused on big-picture strategy;
- Are a natural mediator who can de-escalate conflict and listen with empathy;
- Are eager to help shape a stronger and more intentional culture of impact;
- Are passionate about public service and a believer in the power of social movements.
It’s a bonus if you:
- Experience in grassroots mobilizing and organizing;
- Experience with a Code for America Brigade;
- Experience working in or closely with government;
- Product management experience;
- Relationships with grassroots and activist groups on related issues (criminal justice, social safety net, strengthening democracy, transparency & accountability);
- Training on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI);
- Training on conflict management / mediation;
- Experience fundraising at the institutional, major gift, or grassroots level;
- Experience working with or managing remote staff.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from $102,200 – $138,000 in yearly salary. As part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. That target for this role is $115,500. These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials. The highest cost of living adjustment is 15%.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.