A Y Combinator/Imagine K12 company, ClassDojo’s long-term goal is to give every child on Earth an education they love. The ClassDojo app is the #1 communication app for micro-communities of K-8 teachers, children and families globally; they use it to stay connected, sharing what’s happening through the school day through photos, videos, messages, and activities. The company is now helping kids get learning experiences they love, beyond school. Today, ClassDojo is used by 95% of pre K-8 schools in the US, as well as in a further 180 countries.
You’ll be responsible for growing ClassDojo from today’s tens of millions of teachers, children and families, to 100 million+ active users. So far, ClassDojo has grown 100% organically; you’ll accelerate this by rapidly experimenting with new and existing product growth loops. You’ll be the product leader, embedded with a team of engineers, product designers, and other cross-functional partners. You will be involved in every aspect of the product development process, from conception to launch to ongoing improvements, working at a strategic and tactical level to create products that teachers, parents, and students love.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Maximize the growth of our active user base by creating and growing scalable loops
- Develop the team’s understanding of ClassDojo’s growth model
- Contribute to our culture of customer-obsessed, fast-paced product development
You’ll be involved in every aspect of growing ClassDojo to the next order of magnitude: you’ll pick high-leverage strategies and tactics, and you’ll turn data, research, and intuition into products and initiatives that people love, want and share.
What you’ll bring:
- Growth leadership: you have experience growing and optimizing consumer products, delivering growth-focused KPIs through non-ad acquisition strategies (communities, invitation and referral programs, etc). You’ve led cross-functional teams that do this.
- Product growth knowledge: you have a strong understanding of growth models, strategies, and tactics. You know how to build compounding growth loops that fuel acquisition, activation, engagement and virality. You can easily translate insights from users and data into meaningful action, and know how to lead teams to get the strategies and tactics right. You can share several shining examples of real growth work you’ve done, and what you learned along the way.
- Product sense: you have strong consumer product sense; you empathize with users and craft experiences that delight them while also achieving business goals. You have the ability to think at different levels of resolution: at a high level about good product strategy (not just ‘how it should look’ but ‘what we should build’), all the way down to the specifics of a tactic, and its impact on the bottom line. You are quantitative and analytical, and you know which features can act as force multipliers on the company’s business model. You contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the rest of the leadership team.
- Communication: You are a clear, structured communicator, whether writing or speaking. You like sharing your work, even if it’s still in progress, to bring the team along. You have a sharp ambiguity filter, and are always seeking to clarify what is unclear for yourself and others.
- High standards for craftsmanship: You know that shipping doesn’t end after you release. You work with your teams to ensure a culture of continuous improvement, driven by qualitative and quantitative insights. You give and solicit feedback from teammates in order to continually raise our bar for quality.
- Analytical skills: You have strong quantitative skills, and create and refine hypotheses by exploring user data. You’re excited to iteratively improve metrics and you can write your own SQL to monitor product progress and opportunities.
What you’ll need:
- Experience in designing, building, and shipping quality consumer apps across platforms
- Experience growing, optimizing, and monetizing consumer products, delivering growth-focused KPIs through unpaid acquisition strategies
- Strong understanding of growth models, strategies and tactics, including acquisition, activation, retention (engagement and stickiness) and virality
- 5+ years experience in growing consumer products across platforms and geographies
- Strong quantitative skills and comfort with data and statistics, creating/refining hypotheses by exploring user data
- Experience conducting user research and developing strong user understanding via many methods
- Work well in resource-constrained environments
- Structured problem-solving ability
- Good judgment and strong thought partner for executive team
- Move faster than is comfortable—an instigator
- Clear, concise written and spoken communication
- Experience growing consumer products internationally
- > 7 years of professional experience
- Americas timezones
ClassDojo’s mission is to bring communities together, and help them create an education experience their children love. Founded in 2011 (ImagineK12 / Y Combinator) and based in San Francisco, California, ClassDojo started as a communication app: a simple way for teachers, families, and children to share the magic of the school day through photos, videos, and messages. It creates a close-knit classroom community, and exciting, inspiring and creative classrooms and homes for kids. We’re one of the fastest growing education companies of all time, used and loved by tens of millions of teachers, families and children in 90% of K-8 schools in the US, and 180 other countries.
You can read more about our vision to change education from the ground up here: https://medium.com/@samchaudhary/https-medium-com-samchaudhary-how-to-change-education-from-the-ground-up-f82b8f3e4b95.
We believe focused, talented, non-hierarchical teams can achieve a surprising amount: https://blog.ycombinator.com/its-surprising-how-much-small-teams-can-get-done-sam-chaudhary-of-classdojo/. Our team is made up of talented, motivated, intense and interesting people from around the world, with deep backgrounds in education, as well as from leading consumer internet organizations like Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Uber, Y Combinator and more. We’re building a company that is pioneering the future of education, and one that is the kind of place we’ve all always wanted to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here.
ClassDojo’s vision is to give every child on Earth an education they love. We strongly feel the best way to do this is to work with people from diverse backgrounds that truly reflect the world. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We hire both locally in San Francisco, and distributed teammates around the world.
If you’re interested in pioneering the future of education at massive scale, we’d love to hear from you.