At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get public answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. We’re looking for a Product Manager to join our team, working on the public platform, http://stackoverflow.com/.
Stack Overflow today has over 17 million question and answer pairs, sees 50 million unique visitors a month, and has been visited over 12 billion times in the past decade. You’ll be leading one of the largest, most engaging products on the internet. While we’re proud of how far we’ve come, we need your help to make Stack Overflow an attractive community for the next 10 million developers. You’ll have a broad mandate from new user onboarding, acquisition, and core Q&A functionality to user privileges, reputation, moderator tools and much more.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot. Here’s what you can expect during your first year:
- First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, marketing, sales, and community teams, and contributing to small features.
- Next 3 Months: Acquire a deep understanding of the biggest opportunities and pain points for our various user segments through past and new user research. This will include expanding our product suite to better address users’ needs and improving their overall experience on the platform. You’ll speak with users, write specs, run experiments, and iterate on ideas with your team and stakeholders.
- Next 8 months: You will take a leadership role developing the long-term roadmap for the Public Platform product team. You’ll be involved not just in product development, but in defining long-term strategy, improving our processes, and advocating for all developers and technologists that use Stack Overflow.
We like to work in public. Not only does that mean being open within the company about what the product team is building, we also try and bring the developer community in as soon as we’re able. Here are some examples of how we have done this historically:
- Introducing “The Loop”: A Foundation in Listening
- We’re Rewarding the Question Askers
- Research Update: A/B Testing the New Question Form
We’re looking to hire the best person wherever you are in the world. We work remotely so you can work from home and interact with the team over Google Meet and Slack, usually during US or European working hours. We have offices in New York, London, and Munich, so if you’re in one of those cities you can opt to work from the office or stop by for a visit – our offices are awesome! (Note: Due to the Covid-19 outbreak, offices will remain closed through the end of 2020).
What you’ll do:
- Partner with other PMs and key stakeholders to set the product strategy for the Public Platform team, and lead a team to execute on that strategy
- Build the product roadmap, maintain a backlog of projects, and manage the priorities for the team
- Contribute to detailed user research and customer segmentation to understand the core issues that our users and customers care about
- Propose new products and features and pitch them to the company and community
- Start with high-level goals and hypotheses, validate ideas through product discovery and research, and partner with developers, designers, marketing, and community teams to iteratively deliver value to our users
- Define and monitor metrics to determine the effectiveness of features, and administer split tests to measure overall impact
- Interact with our community of developers and our customers around the world to gather ideas and feedback
- Develop and execute go-to-market strategies in partnership with product marketing and community teams
What we want to see:
- A track record of coming up with ideas for building and shipping web software
- Minimum of 5 years’ product management experience
- A deep understanding of Stack Overflow and other Stack Exchange network sites
- Strong B2B experience, has worked on a community based product, or has experience building products at scale
- Excellent spec-writing and UX skills
- An understanding of the technical and design implications of what you ask the team to do
- Excellent telecommuting skills. Even if you work from one of our offices, many of our team members are remote
- Experience with usability testing and A/B tests
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly through written word (whether that’s online posts, specs, blogging, or anything else)
If this job interests you but you aren’t certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers and technologists visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world’s developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, and knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremonies to an absolute minimum.
Our core values guide our work.
- Keep Community at Our Center: Community is at the heart of everything we do. Nurture healthy communities where everyone is encouraged to learn and give back.
- Adopt a Customer-First Mindset: Authentically serve our customers by empowering, listening and collaborating with our fellow Stackers.
- Be Flexible and Inclusive: We do our best work when a diverse group of people collaborate in an environment of respect and trust. Create space for different voices to be heard, and allow flexibility in how people work.
- Be Transparent: Communicate openly and honestly, both inside and outside the company. Encourage transparency from others by being empathetic, reliable, and acting with integrity.
- Empower People to Deliver Outstanding Results: Give people space to get their job done, support them when they need it, and practice blameless accountability.
- Learn, Share, and Grow: Adopt a Growth Mindset. Be curious and eager to learn. Aim for ethical, sustainable, long-term growth, both personally and in the company
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.