At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. We’re looking for a Product Manager to join our team.
Stack Overflow today has over 17 million question and answer pairs, sees 50 million unique visitors a month, and has been visited over 12 billion times in the past decade. You’ll be leading one of the largest, most engaging products on the internet. While we’re proud of how far we’ve come, we need your help to make Stack Overflow an attractive community for the next 10 million developers.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot. Here’s what you can expect during your first year:
- First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, marketing, sales, community teams, and contributing to small features.
- Next 3 Months: Acquire a deep understanding of the biggest opportunities and pain points for our various user segments through past and new user research. This will include expanding our product suite to better address their needs, and improving their overall experience on the platform. You’ll speak with users, write specs, run experiments, and iterate on ideas with your team and stakeholders.
- Next 8 months: You will take a leadership role developing the long-term roadmap for your product team. You’ll be involved not just in product development, but in defining long-term strategy, improving our processes, and advocating for all developers and technologists that use Stack Overflow.
We like to work in public. Not only does that mean being open within the company about what the product team is building, we also try and bring the developer community in as soon as we’re able. Here are some examples of how we have done this historically:
- Introducing “The Loop”: A Foundation in Listening
- We’re Rewarding the Question Askers
- Research Update: A/B Testing the New Question Form
What you’ll do:
- Partner with other PMs and key stakeholders to set the product strategy for a product area and lead a team to execute on that strategy
- Build a product roadmap, maintain a backlog of projects, and manage the priorities for the team
- Contribute to detailed user research and customer segmentation to understand the core issues that our users and customers care about
- Propose new products and features and pitch them to the company and community
- Define and monitor metrics to determine the effectiveness of features, and administer split tests to measure overall impact
- Interact with our community of developers and customers around the world to gather ideas and feedback
What we need to see:
- 7+ years in a product management role
- Experience working on a B2C based product, community based product, or building products at scale (e.g. XXX monthly visitors).
- A track record of coming up with ideas for building and shipping web or mobile software applications
- A deep understanding of Stack Overflow and other Stack Exchange network sites
- Excellent spec-writing and UX skills. Experience with usability testing and A/B tests.
- An understanding of the technical and design implications of what you ask the team to do
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly through written word (whether that’s online posts, specs, blogging, or anything else)
- We’re a remote-friendly team and you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication. While we’re generally very flexible on working hours, your working hours will need to overlap with (at least) the hours of 10AM – 2PM US Eastern time.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our office (re-opening June 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.