Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the 21st century. We build open source technology and organize a network of people dedicated to making government services simple, effective, and easy to use. Our employees build and transform government services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, non-profit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for both the government and the people the government serves, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America you will contribute to meaningful work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Come help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Senior Product Manager who will contribute to expanding the depth and breadth of our Safety Net work.
About the Role:
The Social Safety Net is one of Code for America’s flagship efforts – it spans our work with the Integrated Benefits Initiative, GetCalFresh, and other national public benefit programs. The easiest way to apply online for food stamps, known as CalFresh in California, is through Code for America’s GetCalFresh service and takes about 10 minutes, offering a great user experience even on low-end mobile phones. GetCalFresh is the core of a set of tools we’re building to address a much bigger problem: enrolling the nearly 2.5 million Californians who are eligible but not receiving benefits, and making the experience orders of magnitude better than the status quo. In the Integrated Benefits Initiative, we’re working in Minnesota to reduce the time to apply for SNAP, TANF, and Medicaid from 110 minutes to under 20 minutes, and integrating directly with state eligibility systems. Our Safety Net work also includes Pandemic EBT and other rapid response projects, where we built tools and offered support to states ramping up emergency food assistance for students that would normally receive meals at school. Our work is expanding with an ambitious national strategy, adding product delivery in additional states, creating replicable, scaleable products and consulting with states trying to improve their existing services.
We’re a collaborative team with a sharp focus on user needs, driven by making a meaningful difference in the lives of the people we serve. The ideal candidate is excited to work with research, design, engineering, and government partners to understand people who access safety net benefits. The ideal candidate has experience working directly with government partners and integrating directly into government systems.
This role is based in San Francisco or remote in the US and requires 25 – 40% travel. This role reports to the Group Product Manager.
In this position you will:
- Collaborate with Solutions Engineers to integrate data from Code for America products into government systems that deliver benefits directly to clients
- Work across Code for America teams to build products that are modular, interoperable, and usable in several states and several products
- Work closely with the Group Product Manager and other to execute national Safety Net strategy that promotes systems change
- Advocate for government partners to adopt Agile processes
- Help lead a multi-disciplinary team of design, research, and engineering to test and develop new solutions that work for underserved communities and grow our overall user base
- Own the day to day backlog and delivery, working with the product team to write user stories, acceptance criteria, and prioritize the backlog
- Collaborate with designers on the creation of prototypes and models
- Create and encourage a culture of initiative, flexibility and responsiveness, mobilizing the team to respond swiftly to changing priorities
- Drive a diverse and collaborative working culture which encourages openness, approachability and is supportive of challenge, however uncomfortable.
- Collaborate with engineering leads to develop and evolve team processes that enable us to focus on the right things and execute efficiently.
- Participate in research and interactions with users: understanding what we’re trying to learn and why and ensuring the right outcomes from research
- 4+ years of product management experience.
- Experience building products that integrate data directly in to external systems
- Proven ability to lead high quality product development using an agile methodology – iteratively improving products through delivery cycles.
- Proven ability to interpret and leverage user research, usability testing, and data analytics to make and validate product decisions.
- Strong product judgment – knowing when to prototype and when to code, when to experiment, and when to change direction.
- Have a handle on the day to day and an ability to forecast, plan, connect incremental short-term progress with a long-term vision.
- Strong communication skills and experience and comfort with internal and external stakeholders
- A passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them.
- Bonus points if you’ve worked directly with Medicaid or Healthcare.gov
Additionally, here are the stages in the interview process for this role: Recruiter screen; Hiring manager interview; Take home technical assignment; Interview about assignment; Virtual onsite interviews; Reference checks; and Offer.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from ($120,700 – $163,300) in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. That target for this role is $136,675. These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/ Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.