The tech sector has failed low-income Americans. Technology is generally built by people who have money, for people who have money. That’s because people solve the problems they understand, and with economic inequality only getting worse, most technologists don’t understand the lived experience of those with limited income. At Propel, we’re doing our part to change that. Our first app, Fresh EBT, is used by over 4 million families who get SNAP benefits (also known as food stamps) to manage their benefits, save money, and earn income. Read more about Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re building a new type of bank account specifically for people living on or near the safety net.
As our first dedicated Recruiter, you’ll help to make sure Propel grows quickly and effectively! In this role, you’ll deep dive to learn everything there is to know about a function (technical and non technical), partner with hiring managers to understand their team needs, and go out into the world to find top talent. Once found, you’ll be the first face of Propel for many new hires, representing our brand, mission, and impact to hundreds of prospective employees. In this role, you’ll also be a champion of DEI initiatives. You’ll ensure our hiring processes are fair and equitable, and play a leading role in making Propel a more diverse and equitable workplace.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (when we return!)
What you’ll do:
- Own full cycle recruiting for 6+ high-priority roles
- Generate your own candidate pipelines through creative sourcing methods
- Make Propel a more diverse workplace
- Support and train interviewers at Propel where needed
- Evaluate and track our hiring metrics for open roles, using this data to craft your priorities
What you have:
- 3+ years working as a recruiter in a high paced environment
- Experience scaling a team from 50 to 300
- Experience working with both technical and non technical roles
- Track record of making teams more diverse
- Sky-high emotional intelligence
- Scrappiness and ability to flex and change with hiring responsibilities
- The ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and with kindness, both verbally and in writing
- Deep desire to help fulfill Propel’s mission of building modern, effective, and respectful tools for low-income Americans