RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core is an open-source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
The mission of our Finance team is to provide high quality, timely, accurate, clear and complete financial statements, analyses and financial information in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations and U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in order to meet the Company’s internal, external and regulatory financial reporting obligations. We operate with high-integrity and provide our internal and external stakeholders with responsive, direct and honest communication.
As we grow, we are looking to add another member to this talented and dedicated team. The Senior Revenue Staff Accountant will play a key role in our growing team and support the Manager of Revenue and Technical Accounting by reviewing contracts with customers to ensure proper revenue recognition, implementing internal controls, and supporting the sales organization by providing guidance on the Company’s revenue recognition policy and procedures.
The ideal candidate will have 3 to 5 years of relevant accounting experience, with a strong technical knowledge of ASC 606 and internal control documentation.
Reporting to the Manager of Revenue & Technical Accounting with a key role in the monthly recognition, analysis and reporting of the Company’s revenue. This role will act as a financial business partner to cross-functional areas of the organization, including Sales and Business Development, as well as external auditors, and third-party consultants.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following areas:
- Monthly, quarterly, and annual closing procedures related to revenue recognition.
- Prepare, analyze, and report on monthly bookings and deferred revenue.
- Reconcile revenue transactions between the sales and finance systems.
- Review and analysis of contracts and order documentation to ensure proper revenue recognition in accordance with ASC 606.
- Proactive identification of revenue accounting issues and improvement of existing processes.
- Identify, document, and implement internal controls.
- Assist with gathering documentation for the Company’s financial statement and regulatory compliance audits.
- Complete ad-hoc reporting and analytical support for the finance and business teams.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required; CPA preferred.
- 3-5 years of relevant financial revenue accounting experience; prior big 4 experience preferred.
- Solid understanding of U.S. GAAP, including software revenue recognition concepts in accordance with ASC 606.
- Strong time management and the ability to meet tight deadlines with limited supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive, analytical, and use critical and strategic thinking to solve complex problems.
- Shows initiative by seeking ways to improve processes and data analysis.
- Strong collaboration skills in order to establish key partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Possess excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with NetSuite and Salesforce preferred.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary with great benefits including medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered), 401k matching, home office allowance, 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents, and a profit-sharing plan.
- 100% remote (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston), minimal travel.
- Pick your hardware — we want to equip you with the tools to do your best work.
- Flexible environment with a “take what you need” vacation policy.
Working at RStudio:
The people of RStudio share a common set of beliefs that inform our work:
- Three powerful forces — the enthusiastic engagement we enjoy from our open-source community; the trusted relationships we have built with our commercial customers; and the well-being and commitment of our team — carry equal weight in how we define and measure our success.
- We make thoughtful and sustainable financial decisions because the long-term health of our business is what will enable us to deliver work that benefits our community, our customers, and our team for years to come.
- We don’t believe in hierarchical command and control. RStudio is bound together by our shared mission, not an office address or set of organizational charts.
- While we insist on producing consistently excellent work, we know that the journey to get there may be different for each person and team. We provide space for both focused time and active collaboration in our day-to-day work.
- We treat our customers, community members, and colleagues with kindness, humility, transparency, and integrity. We also try not to take ourselves too seriously. We are committed to maintaining a respectful, inclusive, and open environment that enables amazing contributions — not just within our own company, but across the global, diverse communities and customers that we serve.
We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.