Located in Philadelphia and San Francisco, Guru is looking for an excellent Backend Software Engineer to be a core part of our Engineering Team. As part of a cross-functional team you will collaborate to develop, implement, and deploy back-end services, APIs, and internal tools.
Your responsibilities include implementing product features end to end, collaborating with others to build the best solutions, reviewing code, triaging issues, and instilling rigor and passion for high-quality software development practices. As a Senior Engineer, you will also be expected to both identify and solve complex problems with limited direction and be able to help lead and mentor newer engineers as our team scales.
This job is not only about how well you develop; it’s about how you lend your positivity and presence, combined with your skill set to an energized environment and highly collaborative team. Strong sense of humor required, sarcasm detection skills a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 5+ years of professional experience building enterprise grade applications preferably in Java
- Experience with modern software development and deployment practices included unit & integrations testing, continuous integration, etc.
- Experience implementing REST APIs
- Experience working with SQL and relational data
- Proficiency using version control systems like Git
- Ability and interest in mentoring and guiding others
- Have a deep understanding of good architectural practices for large scale applications
- Strong communication skills, a positive attitude, and empathy
- Self-awareness and a commitment to continual improvement
- Desire to write and maintain clean code, avoiding tech debt
- Work with other engineers, product managers, and designers to craft rock-solid customer-centered solutions
Preferred but not required:
- Experience with AWS services including EC2, ECS and Dynamo.
- Experience with streaming data
- Experience using mocking libraries like Mockito or EasyMock
Benefits to you:
- Competitive salary
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Generous benefits package
- Professional Development & Wellness Allowance
- The chance to contribute to an upbeat, fully engaged culture
Guru is a dynamic, fast growing start-up based in Philadelphia and San Francisco. Our mission is to reinvent the way people connect with meaningful information at work. Guru’s knowledge management solution provides customer-facing teams access to expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. We believe in cultivating a welcoming, inclusive culture that encourages personal growth through working hard and having fun.
Launched in September 2015, our vision is backed by an amazing group of investors including FirstMark Capital, Salesforce, Michael Dell, the Slack Fund, Emergence Capital, Thrive Capital and Accel. As we enter the next exciting stage of expansion, we’re searching for passionate individuals to join our rapidly growing team.
This is a full-time position that can be Remote or based out of our Philadelphia or San Francisco offices. Re-location and/or Visa Sponsorship is not included in our hiring package. Applicants will need to be authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
All are welcome here. At Guru, being inclusive is very important to us. Regardless of race, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identification, or background.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.