Community powers direct relationships and one-on-one conversations between Leaders and their Members through text messaging at scale. Launched in 2019 and headquartered in Santa Monica, Calif., Community is breaking new ground in trusted marketing and communications channels by connecting Leaders–global pop culture stars, local community organizers, small business owners and brands–to their Members to drive conversations that convert into actions, sales, revenue and more.
About the role and your impact
As a Senior Backend Engineer at Community you will have the opportunity to work on service level backend-only teams or vertically integrated product teams, depending on your experience and interest. In either case, you will learn our event-driven architecture and become familiar with our infrastructure in order to be a first responder to incidents. You will design and lead the implementation of features across the services for which your team is responsible, often working with Product or other teams to define the scope of the work.
Collaboration and mentorship are part of the skills that have enabled Community to grow at a fast pace while still maintaining predictability in our software. You will have the opportunity to work with engineers across experience levels and to push everyone to grow. You will use your credibility to raise up the voice of others and champion ideas that are not your own. Experience balancing the delivery of features and building things correctly is important. You will help find the compromises when possible and speak out to ensure the team makes the right choices for both the short and long term.
Community values engineers who have the experience to tackle problems that they haven’t seen before, but also those who are willing to ask for help when they realize that they are stuck. You will proactively communicate your progress, whether you are on track or starting to fall behind. You will take ownership of your work, from ideation to delivery to production and beyond.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver product features in an Agile environment.
- Decompose and refactor complex and ambiguous logic into manageable components.
- Define SLAs to instrument and monitor production services; participate in on-call rotations.
- Help lead engineering efforts by authoring technical design documentation; break down complex projects into small executable units.
- Work with infrastructure engineers to strengthen and scale our platform; institute best practices to improve consistency and development velocity across all teams.
- Mentor and coach less experienced engineers.
What you’ll bring
- 5+ years of experience building and operating multi-tenant SaaS applications at scale.
- Skill in refactoring complex codebase while delivering features.
- Knowledge of microservices architecture and related design patterns.
- Hands-on experience in or strong desire in learning Elixir (Bonus if you have Go background)
- Experience with most of the following: AWS, Docker, Kubernetes/Mesos, Cassandra, PostgreSQL, Redis, and RabbitMQ.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- Our backend is largely asynchronous, written in Elixir, running in Docker containers, on a distributed, scheduled platform on AWS. We work w/ PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Redis, and RabbitMQ among others.
Community is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We commit ourselves to inclusivity across race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, body size, disability, age, and class – in everything we do.