Please do not apply for this role if you are not physically located in Europe, Africa or the Middle East (UTC-1 to UTC+3). While this is a remote position, we can not consider candidates that are not based in these regions. You can find a detailed explanation in our Recruitment FAQs.
At Hotjar, we’re creating Product Experience Insights software for digital product teams. We help show how users behave and what they feel strongly about, so product teams can deliver real value, fast. As part of our Engineering team, you’ll work on the exciting challenges that come with large-scale web traffic and analytics.
We work in an agile and highly collaborative environment, 100% remotely, and challenge the norms of traditional business leadership. Our focus is on true transparency and respect.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and resourceful software engineer, passionate about building great products, someone who loves being part of a team, whilst enjoying the autonomous nature of working remotely.
- Work in an agile cross-functional team with other engineers, product managers, and product designers
- Create production-grade Python code and will implement solutions designed to handle high levels of traffic
- Participate in building and owning new services that power our product
- Build and maintain dashboards, monitoring essential application and business metrics
- Contribute towards and improve our tech stack which includes technologies such as Python, Flask, Elasticsearch, Postgresql, Kubernetes, Kafka, and AWS
- Plan, build, test, and release new features and experiments
- Work with other team members through pair programming, code reviews, and ad-hoc assistance
- Collaborate with engineers across the department to identify and build on improvements to our processes and systems
- Share your knowledge and learnings across the organization via chapter talks and internal/external posts
- 5+ years background in building and maintaining high traffic web backends
- 5+ years demonstrable experience using Python and relational databases
- Experience developing cloud-native web application backends
- Professional experience with system architecture and modularisation
- Experience with automated testing in Python
- Experience using Redis, Linux, Nginx, Elasticsearch, and Amazon Web Services is a plus
- Familiarity with distributed revision control systems such as Git
- Familiarity with automated builds and Continuous Delivery
- Pragmatic approach to engineering, actively avoiding over-engineered solutions, and with an understanding of how to maintain high-quality code in a delivery-focused environment
- Desire to work in a respectful, transparent, and collaborative work environment, following Hotjar’s company values, culture and ways of working
- Will submit to a background check, confidentially processed by our third-party partner
The compensation range for a team member in this role is €80,000 to €105,000 annually where the typical offer will fall in the range of €85,000 to €95,000.
Hotjar compensation approach
Our ranges are established after performing market research but the specific compensation amount of the offer will be determined based on relative experience, skills, and equity across the team. We encourage all candidates to read our Recruitment FAQs to further understand our approach to compensation and how we structure our contracts.
In addition to the monetary compensation, we provide all team members with an assortment of unique and popular perks valued at more than €10,000 a year, plus stock options and 40 days of annual leave. These have been chosen to reflect our values and ideals, be it encouraging constant learning with our Personal Development Budget, a great work/life balance with the Holiday Budget, or a happy, healthy team with our Wellbeing Budget.
Here at Hotjar, we welcome team members of all backgrounds, identities, and experiences. Working with respect is built into our core values: we are honest, tolerant, and inclusive. We celebrate the uniqueness and strength found in diversity. We all commit to creating a safe working environment and are allies to those less privileged. And we fully believe that living by these values helps us to make our company, and our product, better.