Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
As a member of our Data Infrastructure team, you’ll help us build infrastructure and tools for collecting and processing data in streaming and batch pipelines. Your work will enable other developers and data scientists to write custom data pipelines that power data science, machine learning, and product development.
You should have experience building and supporting at scale data processing platforms, and collaborating with other teams that use them. Experience building applications using one of the major cloud providers is a bonus but not required. We value curiosity, enthusiasm, responsibility and generosity of spirit.
We primarily write in Java, Scala, and Python and use technologies like Kafka, Kafka Streams, Kubernetes, Avro/Protobuf, Airflow, and GCP services like Dataproc, Dataflow, and BigQuery. This is a full time role. Our team is headquartered in Brooklyn, but we support remote work and accept remote applicants.
For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Full-time employees are also eligible for Etsy’s bonus program, equity program, and amazing benefits package. See our Careers Page for more details.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- We build highly-performant systems that are maintainable and easy to understand by selecting and integrating with the best of current technologies.
- Our team is responsible for developing and monitoring our batch and streaming environments and improving or fixing them over time.
- We build a lot of tools and libraries in Java, Scala, or Python.
- Understand that being an effective software engineer is about communicating with people as much as it is about writing code.
- Are willing to work with and improve code you did not originally write.
- Are generous with your time and experience, and can mentor and learn from other engineers.
- Can tackle unconstrained problems and know when to seek help.
- Have familiarity with a few of the following: DevOps experience, advantages and limitations of distributed systems, building and monitoring cloud services/infrastructure, writing ETL pipelines, and using or maintaining batch data processing environments like Hadoop or Spark in Dataproc, and stream processing systems like Kafka Streams, Spark, or Dataflow
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.