Truss is tackling tough technical problems for the private sector and government. We use modern development practices to build software, streamline infrastructure, and train others through exposure to our teams. We have earned a reputation with our clients for pragmatism, autonomy, expertise, and trust. We extend these values to our strong relationships with contractors, partners and employees, because we believe this is fundamental to doing great work.
We are seeking empathetic, curious, and quick-learning engineers to join our Application Engineering practice and collaborate with our clients and partners to invent, implement, and deploy new systems and improvements to existing systems. A position with Truss will allow you to use your rich skill-set to build an energetic yet balanced environment with a team of curious, helpful people.
This is a full-time, remote position and reports to the Senior Application Engineer Manager. Currently all Trussels enjoy full benefits, generous PTO, 401k match, a coworking budget, a kindness budget, and company-wide transparency around salaries and career leveling (view the Truss Leveling Guide).
The salary range for this role is $166,500 – $192,500.
In this position you will:
- Deliver timely, high-quality solutions to specific engineering problems.
- Create automated tests or be willing to learn to do so.
- Mentor and cross-train with other engineers via design discussions and code reviews.
- Help architect new systems and changes to existing systems to support new functionality and broaden impact to clients.
- Work cross-functionally on project teams to form and drive technical decisions to completion.
- Evaluate and select tools to meet project needs without creating unnecessary technical debt.
- Collaborate closely across practices such as Product and Design to build solutions that keep the end-user in mind.
- Build team dynamics that empower technical teams to set and advocate for best practices and standards.
Here’s what we hope you will bring:
- Great communication! Including thoughtful listening skills, the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to communicate well in writing.
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative and positive mindset.
- Excitement to experiment with new technologies and best practices.
- The ability to think holistically about software delivery and engineering issues.
- Methodical approach to solving problems and ability to express solutions to coworkers.
- Have held at least one engineering/infrastructure position post-education
- Initiative with a bias for action.
- Experience leading and actively mentoring junior engineers.
- Technology-agnostic approach to solving key problems.
- Thoughtful, process-oriented approach to engineering, testing, and agile software development
- Leading software delivery teams through agile ceremonies
- Web frameworks such as React, Vue, Angular, Rails, Django, Flask, Express, etc.
- Modern web technologies such as HTML, CSS.
- Best practices such as accessibility, progressive enhancement, etc.
- Common API design patterns like REST or GraphQL
- Common databases (MySQL, postgreSQL) and data schema design
- Converting wireframes or mockups into working code
- Structuring projects/applications using technology and process to enable junior engineers to be more productive
- Security-first software development (examples: designing identity and authorization systems)
- Designing systems for the cloud
If you have experience outside of what is reflected here, that’s great! We’ll be pleased to exercise your unique skill set.
Truss was named one of the Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Companies for 2021. As a fully distributed, values-driven organization we actively pursue new ways to support our staff and foster growth. We strive to cultivate a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, skillsets, and approaches on our teams and if what we are building excites you we encourage you to apply!
Eligibility: You must be eligible to work in the US. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Truss is a federal contractor and as such must adhere to executive order 14042 for the Covid Vaccination mandate regarding federal contractors. Upon employment, Truss will request proof of vaccination. If a medical or religious accommodation is needed, a discussion can be held with our People Operations department.
** A note from Truss: We know you’re likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 and other events – we’re experiencing it, too. During video interviews, you’ll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids and pets are home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little…harried. It’s OK if you are, too – we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **