Do you want to make software development a delight for the entire world? Join us at GitHub! We want you to help build and deliver the best end to end software development experience across GitHub.
We’re looking for world-class software engineers to join GitHub’s Octoservices organization. We provide the tools and services that empower GitHub staff and our customers. Octoservices is responsible for the full stack of features and technologies that power Admin Experiences, Audit Logs, Migration, Learning Lab, Docs, and more tools and services that enable our millions of customers to use GitHub, increasing the impact of software solutions at a global scale.
Octoservices is growing fast and is hiring for many different frontend, backend, and full-stack roles across these services, so please reference the qualifications below to determine if any of these roles would be a good fit for you. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work as an engineer with a distributed, diverse and passionate team delivering features and improvements to the stack. You’ll work with our team of engineers, designers, writers, and product managers to build and maintain customer-facing experiences and backend solutions to enable high-quality services running at global scale and deliver those experiences into the hands of millions of developers across the world.
- You will collaborate with your team, product and design to build new features.
- You will need to work with engineering and product leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- You will evaluate and recommend solutions, and guide decision making by considering technical tradeoffs.
- You will document the systems you help build.
- You will mentor, pair, and delegate work to encourage the professional and technical growth of those around you
- You will work with support to triage and debug technical support request
- You will become an owner and advocate for the health and quality of the systems that the team builds, participate in an on-call rotation and respond to incidents as necessary
- 4+ years of experience working with OOP languages and patterns
- 2+ years of experience designing, building and running large scale and highly available cloud services or distributed systems
- 2+ experience with high scale SQL and general database knowledge preferred
- Experience with production system monitoring & observability
- Experience with Git systems and GitHub
- Experience with RESTful API design and/or GraphQL
- Experience with orchestration (eg. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Strong knowledge of testing principles
- Strong analytical skill for creative problem solving
- Strong written and verbal communication skill
- Remote work experience
- Experience building highly available distributed systems
- Prefer impact rather than activity
- Passionate about healthy team culture and collaboration
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.