Guru is seeking an experienced Senior Software Engineer to help our customers find the knowledge they need to do their jobs through fast, relevant, context-aware, and trustworthy search. You will bring your strong background in information retrieval, including index design, search ranking, relevance tuning, query understanding, and personalization to a team of engineers and data scientists that is iteratively improving Guru’s search. Our team leverages AWS Elasticsearch service in a multi-tenant architecture. Powering the very best search experience in Guru will require three pillars: thoughtfulness about the UX, an iterative and data-driven approach to algorithm tuning, and infusion of advanced NLP and Machine Learning into search. You will be part of a diverse team working on all of the above. The possibilities are endless.
At Guru, your voice will be heard and respected. One of our core values is to “Learn and Grow” by reflecting on past projects to find opportunities to improve how we communicate and work more effectively as a team. We actively promote a healthy work-life balance especially during the global pandemic as we realize for many life and work are intertwined more than ever.
- Improve search results from both relevance and ranking perspective
- Evaluate the quality of search results, drive new insights from experiments, propose and execute on next improvement opportunities, all in a highly data-driven environment
- Develop processes, monitoring, and tooling to ensure search is returning the most relevant results
- Collaborate on design and code reviews to ensure a high-quality experience for customers
- Keep up with and disseminate the latest best practices around Elasticsearch and ML in search
- Work collaboratively with a diverse team of product managers, data scientists, ML engineers, UX designers, and software engineers to deliver impactful improvements to how people search and find company knowledge
- Able to provide detailed examples of personal experience designing and implementing successful search products
- 5+ years of experience in building major search products
- Deep domain expertise with search engines such as Elasticsearch, Solr, or Lucene
- 5+ years of software engineering experience in Python/Java or similar language
- Well-versed in traditional information retrieval techniques
- Proficient working with SQL and relational data
- Able to own and lead projects from beginning to end: conceptualizing and defining potential solutions, weighing tradeoffs, implementing, testing, and deploying solutions
- Enthusiastic about mentoring team members
- Experience with offline/online testing infrastructure, and/or A/B-testing
Preferred but not required:
- Experience with Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML) more broadly
- Experience incorporating machine learning based approaches to improve search
- Experience with AWS cloud using tools such as EMR, Lambda, and S3
- Experience working with data warehouses (Redshift, Snowflake) and data lakes
- Experience working with Docker, CI/CD pipelines, and familiarity with infrastructure as code principles
- Experience with distributed computing frameworks such as Spark or Dask
- Experience designing systems in microservices architectures
Benefits to you:
- Competitive salary
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Generous benefits package
- Professional Development & Wellness Allowance
- The chance to contribute to an upbeat, fully engaged culture
Guru is a dynamic, fast growing start-up based in Philadelphia and San Francisco. Our mission is to reinvent the way people connect with meaningful information at work. Guru’s knowledge management solution provides customer-facing teams access to expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. We believe in cultivating a welcoming, inclusive culture that encourages personal growth through working hard and having fun.
Launched in September 2015, our vision is backed by an amazing group of investors including FirstMark Capital, Salesforce, Michael Dell, the Slack Fund, Emergence Capital, Thrive Capital and Accel. As we enter the next exciting stage of expansion, we’re searching for passionate individuals to join our rapidly growing team.
This is a full-time position that can be Remote or based out of our Philadelphia or San Francisco offices. Re-location and/or Visa Sponsorship is not included in our hiring package. Applicants will need to be authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. All are welcome here. At Guru, being inclusive is very important to us. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran status or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation