Posit’s mission is to create free and open-source software for data science, scientific research, and technical communication to enhance the production and consumption of knowledge by everyone, regardless of economic means. We are a different kind of software company, and we’re proud to build and sell products that help people understand and improve the world through data.
About the Team
Posit’s Solutions Engineering (Sol-Eng) team aims to reduce the distance between customers of Positand our Professional Products and Open Source offerings. We are currently a team of 18.
We work closely with our sales team by helping customers understand the value of the Posit Professional tools to their team. We help customers understand how Posit products will integrate into their environments and work for their use cases.
We also support those teams once they’ve purchased our products. We help their IT/Admins deploy, install, configure, and use our professional products.
By working across pre-sales and post-sales activities we develop a deep understanding of how our customers perceive, buy, and use our products. We use that knowledge to improve our products, documentation, and processes.
Sol-Eng plays an essential role helping prospects understand the value of the Posit products to their organization, helping them realize that value once they’ve purchased, and making Posit and our products work better in the future.
People who thrive in this role tend to:
Have deep expertise in one of the following three areas and demonstrated interest in the other two. At this moment, we are particularly interested in candidates who have experience and/or are excited about pre-sales engagement with customer teams.
- How to navigate deeply technical pre- and post-sales customer calls. Even people with substantial customer experience find that Sol-Eng demands new depths of empathy, curiosity, and clarity of thinking and explanation.
- Open source data science in R and/or Python. We make tools to multiply the impact of Data Scientists who work in R and/or Python. You won’t be doing data science or writing code on a day-to-day basis, but you’ll need to feel comfortable demonstrating our development tools to customers and to help them understand why our products are valuable to their workflows and use cases. Prior experience specifically with our professional products is not necessary, but may be helpful.
- How to speak fluently about enterprise IT. Solutions Engineers help our customer IT/Admins determine the best product architecture for them. Our products serve as integration points to many other systems customers may already have. Having a decent sense of the integrations customers might use and an interest in learning more about how they work is important.
- Be hungry and humble. The technical scope the Sol-Eng team covers is broader than any one person’s knowledge. Great Sol-Eng team members are excited by the challenge of learning more. They are quick to admit what they don’t know and are driven to learn more.
What you’ll own own:
- Technical pre-sales calls where you’ll discover customer needs, qualify customers for particular products, and give compelling explanations (and demos) of the products for those customers.
- Post-sales engineering calls where you’ll discuss potential server configurations and architectures with customers, help customers through the installation process, and share best practices and workflows for doing data science in R and Python using Posit’s Pro Products.
- Responsibility for providing the voice of the customer to other teams at Posit, especially product management and product engineering.
- A variety of projects that might include
- writing and maintaining documentation, how-to articles, and demos of our products.
- exploring enhancements and integrations for our Pro and Open Source products, and helping the product teams incorporate what you’ve learned.
- creating and delivering public webinars, talks, and workshops.
What you’ll help with:
- Improving our team’s processes so our workflows facilitate us doing great work, taking adequate focus time, and having time off to rest and recharge.
- Setting the direction of our products by influencing the product management and engineering teams.
What to expect:
Within 1 month, you’ll…
- Meet the rest of the Sol-Eng team and start meeting members of Customer Success, Sales, and other teams.
- Configure Posit’s Pro Products for yourself to start learning the ins and outs.
- Have joined dozens of demo calls with data scientists, as well as IT architecture calls with IT/Admins of Posit’s Pro products.
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Meet a large fraction of the company across Sol-Eng, Customer Success, Sales, Support, Marketing, Engineering, and more.
- Be comfortable demonstrating most of the use cases of our products to prospects.
- Start working with other solutions engineers and sales to develop strategies for explaining our product’s value proposition to strategic customers.
- Begin getting hands on with customers who are installing our products, looking over their shoulders and suggesting how to set up and configure their environments.
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Contribute to projects in roles of escalating size and scope.
- Help develop and mature our pre-sales engagement across Sol-Eng and Sales, including improving our demo assets and enhancing the process.
Working at Posit:
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community’s interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- All full-time employees are eligible for 401k enrollment starting on day one.
- After six months of employment, Posit provides a substantial yearly match to employee 401K contributions.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional quarterly stipend of $375 to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Are you excited about this role but not sure if your experience aligns with every qualification in the job description? That’s okay. We know multiple perspectives are essential for a thriving organization and we’d still love to hear from you!
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.