MEPPI’s Power Systems Engineering Division (PSED) Is looking for a Sr. System Studies Engineer with Planning and PSS/E experience to independently perform and lead power systems engineering studies in the areas of electromagnetic transients, load flow, short-circuit, transient stability, control design, equipment applications, and other transmission and distribution (T&D) areas. In addition, the successful candidate will develop proposals in response to customer specifications, RFP / RFQ, and technical information requests for power systems engineering analysis while representing MEPPI as industry leader in power systems consulting and studies.
- Independently use, support others in the use, expand capabilities, and enhance efficiency for software programs such as ATP, EMTP, EMTP-RV, PSCAD, MATLAB, ASPEN, CAPE, CDEGS, and others to conduct insulation coordination, harmonic, short circuit, grounding, and other related studies for T and D equipment, including FACTS and HVDC.
- Independently use and lead works with software such as CYME, Synergi, etap, Milsoft, and Plexos to perform studies on renewable resources, distributed energy resources, battery energy storage, relay and protection, monitoring, and smart grid related applications.
- Independently use, support others in the use, expand capabilities, and enhance efficiency for software programs such as PSLF, PSS/E, DigSILENT, DSA Tools, Power World, and others to conduct load flow, transient stability, reactive planning, infrastructure re-enforcement, generator interconnection, and related studies, including FACTS and HVDC.
- Support and lead generator testing, model development, and validation to standards.
- Independently use, support others in the use, expand capabilities, and increase efficiency for C, C++, MATLAB, Java, Perl, Python, and others to enhance simulations and to models T and D equipment, including FACTS and HVDC.
- Develop business opportunities in support of the division objectives.
- Lead and contribute to pre-specification for T and D equipment, contributing to design-oriented parameters.
- Achieve and enhance standard of quality and set example to meet schedules for simulation model development, analytics, and reporting. Use and enhance an engineered process throughout the stages of the study.
- Independently prepare and present and support others with preparing and presenting technical reports to internal and external customers on schedule within quality standards, evidenced by minimized edits, minimized re-work, and positive feedback internally and externally.
- Independently lead proposals in response to customer specifications, RFP / RFQ, and technical information requests.
- Independently lead large-scale technical proposals for studies in various markets and in partnership with other firms.
- Independently lead application engineering for other MEPPI divisions/departments.
- Independently prepare and lead technical papers and articles for publication in professional society journals and trade magazines; and for presentation at professional society meetings, industry conferences, and trade exhibitions.
- Engineering degree: BSEE, MS/ME, or PhD (or equivalent) in electrical engineering with emphasis on electric power engineering with a minimum of 7 years’ experience in the power systems studies consulting field or electric utility system planning field or with a transmission & distribution manufacturer’s application engineering group, or equivalent education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of electric power systems and equipment operation and control.
- Advanced organizational, interpersonal, presentation, communication and technical writing skills required to communicate with customers and employees.
- Ability to work in a team environment and on several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adapt to change within a fast-paced business environment.
- Expertise and leadership with the following programs and modeling tools:
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and related
- ATP, EMTP, EMTP-RV, PSCAD, MATLAB, ASPEN, CAPE, and CDEGS
- PSLF, PSS/E, DigSILENT, DSA Tools, Power World, and related
- CYME, Synergi, etap, Milsoft, and Plexos
- Economic software like PROMOD or MAPS
- C, C++, MATLAB, Java, Perl, Python, and others
- Advanced knowledge of industry standards and guides (NESC, NERC, IEEE, IEC, and CIGRE)