Senior Technical Program Manager
This is a remote position to work during the US east coast time zone (UTC/GMT -5) during standard time and −4 hours (UTC/GMT -4)
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and a suite of other wiki projects. We operate one of the world’s top ten websites and have global reach and impact. Innovation is critical to our mission to support every human in sharing knowledge.
We are looking for a Senior Technical Program Manager to work with 2-3 feature teams within the Product department.
We are looking for someone who will become a trusted partner and a key member of the Product department, as well as someone who is passionate about making operational excellence a prominent part of our daily work.
- Manage the delivery of multiple projects including facilitation of shared understanding of timelines across multiple customer teams
- Drive projects to completion
- Coordinate sequencing of projects and dependencies
- Identify stakeholders and keep them aware of progress
- Coordinate communications with other teams and manage dependencies
- Ensure that the team understands its commitments to its goals and to other teams
- Facilitate project planning, standups, retrospectives, and backlog grooming
- Develop and support healthy team dynamics as well as a culture that welcomes diverse perspectives
- Motivate teams to follow through on commitments to deliver outputs and uphold a culture of accountability
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement
- Partner with Product Managers while also supporting expert judgement of the team
Skills and experience
- BA/BS degree or equivalent in related work experience
- 5+ years experience managing the release of customer-facing software from concept to production
- Strong interpersonal communications skills
- Strong facilitation, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Solid command of Agile approaches to software development and their underlying principles
- Strong knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of project management including identifying stakeholders, defining requirements, crafting schedules, ensuring testing, and facilitating implementation
- Ability to create timelines in MS Project-like applications such as Google Add-ins to spreadsheets
- Strong prioritization, organization, planning, and time management skills
Qualities that are important to us
- Ability to create influence and build rapport with distributed teams representing various cultures and featuring different communication and learning styles
- Detail oriented with an ability to keep big picture in mind at all times
- A good listener whose people skills include leadership, diplomacy, and negotiation
- Ability to anticipate risks, resolve conflicts, and initiate escalation paths
- Ability to build relationships and trust, influence without authority, and effortlessly enforce accountability
- Be the conscience that aligns decisions with organizational goals
- Passion for process improvement with superb attention to detail
Nice to have
- Experience working in an international organization that has a distributed workforce and a very strong culture
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.