Marco Polo is a video chat app created for one simple and significant purpose—to help people feel close.
We’re currently seeking a Senior Tools Engineer to join Marco Polo to support our Growth team in creating structured and interactive internal tools to help us manage and increase our growth. A great candidate for this role is highly analytical and knows how to build tools into existing workflows to help our internal teams increase both their reliability and speed of execution, which in turn, propels the whole company forward.
In this position, you will:
- Build dashboard and data analysis tools: You’ll work closely with our Growth team to define, build, and maintain custom tools to improve scale and efficiency in our product. You’ll work side by side with key stakeholders to understand their software tool pain points, prioritize solutions and create the systems and tools that enable them to work faster. Your work will also help us understand if, how and where we should iterate in an effort to meet key KPIs. As part of this, you’ll find new and interesting ways for our team to digest existing data, obtain new data and turn all of it into actionable information for the larger Growth team.
- Build backend infrastructure: In addition to building dashboards, you’ll also build the infrastructure they act on. There are no backend projects that are off limits, so you’ll use your creativity to develop innovative ways to use our internal data to propel Marco Polo forward.
- Bring best practices and mentor others: As a senior on the team, you’ll learn about and educate others on new technologies and best practices to expand and augment our existing tools. You’ll provide guidance and mentorship to other team members, in an effort to help uplevel the entire team.
Ideally, you have:
- 3+ years experience working with Python (Django a plus).
- Advanced SQL experience and the ability to work with large datasets.
- Comfortable building UIs in a modern framework (vue.js, angular, react, or similar).
- Experience building internal APIs that you’d enjoy using yourself.
- Strong interest in analytics.
- Previous experience building dashboards preferred.
- Experience working in E-commerce/SaaS experience is a plus.
You’ll love working here because:
- We’re a purpose-driven company making a difference in the lives of millions of people.
- We have been doing the remote work thing long before it became necessary. We’re good at it and we’ll make sure you are too!
- We move quickly so you’re constantly learning and things never get stale.
- We know good ideas come from everywhere, so we work to ensure every person feels safe to take risks and think outside of the box.
- We offer competitive compensation, including equity, and we’ve got you covered when it comes to your health (medical, vision, dental), finances, and your family (paid family leave).
A bit about us:
Marco Polo is private video chat for your real relationships – not the entire world. Our video chat app allows you to send a video message at your convenience, and your friend or family member can send back whenever they can. With millions of people already benefiting from this new way of using technology to nurture their relationships, we’re proving that we can reject harmful but profitable business practices and build products that are good for you.
In June 2020, we launched Marco Polo Plus, a subscription plan that offers a premium experience. We aim to be a sustainable business while remaining free in a way that upholds our brand promise to be good for you. Plus delivers on our promise to monetize without ads or selling user data.
Though our backgrounds are diverse, we share a belief—lives flourish when people feel close. That common inspiration keeps us aligned with our purpose as a team, which is scattered across 16 states (so far), coast-to-coast throughout North America.
The distance doesn’t slow us down. We keep the engine humming from our homes, co-working spaces, and coffee shops—connecting with daily Zoom calls, and retreats. Whether collaborating through Slack, video calls, or of course Marco Polo, our team knows how to keep connected—it’s what we do best!
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We can add teammates from anywhere in North America.