We’re looking for a Senior UX Designer Contractor or Full Time Employee with experience helping clients present their content in a way that makes intuitive sense to their users on large multi-platform websites. The right candidate will need a clear understanding of both user and business goals, adept at creating solutions that achieve both.
Why You Should Join
We strive to provide a sensible working environment that endorses healthy work hours, and we offer flexible remote work options. We have a progressive parental leave policy, offer paid volunteer days, and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d particularly love to meet you.
- Design information architectures, taxonomies, and component and page layout wireframes that turn messy, disorganized and often very complex websites into clear, navigable, and valuable resources for users.
- Own a variety of activities throughout a project life-cycle, including content audits, heuristic reviews, competitive analyses and user research via interviews, surveys, and user tests.
- Participate in the facilitation of design thinking internal and client workshops. Work collaboratively with our clients, our Digital Strategists, Digital Analysts, Visual Designers, Business Systems Analysts and Front-End Developers.
Skills & Qualifications
Experience & Education
- 4-6 years of direct experience creating user experience deliverables (user flows, wireframes, information architectures, taxonomies) for the web
- A strong portfolio of sample client work or case studies from past agency, internal design or freelance work
- Experience collaborating with Visual Designers, Digital Strategists and Technologists
- Experience being part of, and leading, agile projects of significant size and scope
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. visual design, human interface design, sociology, psychology, etc.) a plus
- Previous agency experience a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- An understanding of and experience working with template and component-based design that is supported by CMS platforms such as Sitecore, Drupal, Adobe Experience Manager
- Experience running or interpreting user tests
- Experience leading client workshops employing design thinking or other generative facilitation techniques
- Excellent communication skills appropriate for both internal and client teams
- Collaborative, supportive, respectful personality
- Strong time-management skills, independent drive and the ability to work on multiple projects under deadline
- Ability to respond professionally and positively to critical feedback but also to raise hand openly for support and help when needed
- Desire to be an engaged contributor to a growing, collaborative, no-ego team whose primary focus is designing the best experiences for clients we really care about
Not Required (but highly desireable)
- Previous experience as a visual designer, front-end developer, interaction designer, art director, creative director, or similar
- Business development / pitch / proposal experience
- Data visualization design experience
- Frequent sitting at a desk performing work on a computer.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Core Company Values
Velir is an established mid-sized agency with a top-tier portfolio of clients, ranging from the world’s largest non-profits to Fortune 500 brands. We pride ourselves on our people-first culture and a low-ego workplace that embraces experimentation, collaboration and continuous improvement. Velir offers flexible work locations, competitive compensation and excellent benefit packages.
- Take the Long View – Ensure the company is built to last
- Be Courageous – Make the right decisions even when they aren’t the easiest decisions
- Be Genuine – Bring honesty and authenticity to all that you do
- Work with Focus + Passion – Display purpose and pride in your work and never stop learning
At this time, Velir does not sponsor candidates and unfortunately cannot accept those on OPT or CPT.