MO Studio is a design firm that helps government leaders achieve their mission by designing intuitive and sustainable customer experiences that build trust and improve satisfaction. We use human-centered design to modernize and transform customer and employee experiences. We’re a small team of interdisciplinary creatives with mission, impact, and service to others deeply rooted in our DNA. We’re naive enough to believe we can change the world and bold enough to take the chance to do it.
We combine design thinking with agile delivery methods to drive visionary, human-centered products to market. Our custom solutions range in size from completely revamping an entire application to refreshing small pieces of a larger product. Everyone at MO directly impacts the direction and success of the company, and we own our roles. We value integrity, curiosity, and courage, and we operate collaboratively and with accountability while consistently challenging each other in the pursuit of excellence. At MO, we delight in creating one-of-a-kind products and experiences. Your imagination is the only limit on what you can do here!
Are you a passionate advocate for user-centric design with a strong commitment to creating impactful and inclusive digital experiences? Do you have a track record of success in collaborating with diverse stakeholders and leading complex digital service projects? If so, we invite you to apply for the position of Senior UX Designer, where you will join a team that builds products and digital services supporting the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to help improve the lives of our nation’s veterans and VA employees.
Successful candidates will have a track-record of embedding human-centered design practices in technical stakeholder contexts. The willingness to tackle ambiguity and dive in to build new systems and processes, sometimes from scratch, is essential alongside leading through influence within a matrixed environment. Previous experience working in a client services organization (i.e., consulting or a digital agency) is helpful but not required, as is interest in working with the government.
What You’ll Do
- Participatory Design: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver user experiences that are positive, accessible, and impactful. Promote and commit to inclusive and accessible product development, ensuring an exceptional user experience for all.
- User-Centered Research and Insights: Implement research approaches to discover user needs, behaviors, and preferences. Involve users in understanding their experiences and challenges. Co-create to provide deeper insights to identify opportunities and problems.
- Prototyping and Iteration: Design, test, and rapidly iterate on prototypes to improve user experiences. Address user issues and work with business partners, product and development team members towards the envisioned service delivery.
- Deliverables and Documentation: Create various deliverables to drive the product vision and development, including research findings, process and user flows, wireframes, and more. Leverage appropriate frameworks to influence decision-making and connect different development stages effectively.
- Stakeholder Collaboration and Leadership: Collaborate with stakeholders and multidisciplinary teams to frame design opportunities. Fuel excellence in delivery by connecting with Design Team members on different contracts to exchange best practices and shape advanced civic tech design capabilities.
What We Are Looking For
- Experience: 3-8 years of experience in complex digital service projects and collaboration with diverse stakeholders.
- Design Expertise: Strong skills in user research, interaction design, and prototyping; along with a service and systems perspective.
- Advocacy: Strong advocacy for the people whom we serve, for Human-Centered Design (HCD) practices and a passion for social impact design.
- Leadership and Consultative Mindset: Proven leadership abilities, including embedding new capabilities in legacy tech-first environments, guiding high-performing teams and client interaction.
- Accessibility Focus: A commitment to designing for accessibility and fluency in accessibility standards.
- Tool Proficiency: Proficient in modern design platforms (e.g., Sketch, Figma, Mural) and agile methodologies. All applications for this work are built on a Salesforce Platform.
- Regulatory Knowledge: Familiarity with compliance regulations such as PRA, HIPAA, and Section 508 is a plus.
- A REMOTE first work environment
- An inclusive culture where everyone is welcome
- This is a long-term engagement (1yr+)
All MO representatives are expected to lead with humility, embody our core values in their leadership, and to hold their team accountable to the same. MO team members, inclusive of contractors, are expected to ensure we are always growing by tackling hard problems, being strategic, and learning from others.