Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
As a Senior UX Researcher on Etsy’s Product Research team, you will work in partnership with product managers, designers, engineers, and alongside other researchers and data scientists to deliver insights that will craft the future of human commerce on Etsy.
You know how to conduct professional-quality user experience research, incorporating both qualitative and quantitative methods. You work well with others, and have proven instincts about when to hold the line on methodological rigor, and when to adapt to the changing demands of a project. Most importantly, you approach your work with a genuine sense of curiosity and empathy, and you’re willing to challenge conventional wisdom to find the right answer!
Etsy’s Product Research team focuses on using multi-methods research to guide the development of buyer and seller experiences in our dynamic marketplace of unique items. We collaborate with our partner teams through all stages of product development, from identifying initial opportunities, to refining the user experience, to analyzing the impact of our efforts and highlighting improvement areas.
This position is open to remote candidates within the US.
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you’ll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the Role
- Partner with product managers, designers and marketers to guide product development and refinement, drawing on expertise in user research and UX standards
- Independently define project scope and apply appropriate methodologies to manage a research “portfolio” of foundational and evaluative insights
- Educate stakeholders on accessibility best practices and implement accessible recruitment panels and testing methods to scale the work across Etsy
- Conduct on-site, remote, and in-field user research studies with Etsy buyers and sellers
- Work closely with other researchers and data analysts to develop broad approaches to meeting partner needs
- Share tangible findings and prioritized recommendations on a regular basis, to encourage marketplace health and drive Etsy’s business goals
- Manage third-party research vendors (e.g., research agencies, moderators) as necessary
- Promote proven user research methodologies across the company
- Can demonstrate an in-depth understanding of a range of user research methods and a deep understanding of modern trends in Web and app design
- Have approx. 4+ years experience conducting UX research, employing methods such as in-depth user interviews, contextual inquiry, journey mapping, participatory design, and usability testing
- Have 2+ years experience conducting accessibility-focused research, and a working knowledge of related recruiting and vendor management best practices
- Experience leading research at different parts of the product development process, from discovery to delivery
- You are comfortable with the logistical challenges and workflows of recruiting for research
- You are an expert communicator and storyteller, with the ability to hold your own in a meeting and present research findings with a customer-centric perspective
- You are ambitious, meticulous, and able to manage multiple projects at a time
- Experience with SQL, Qualtrics, remote testing tools, or experiment design a plus
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.