You’ll be joining our cloud infrastructure team as the first reliability engineer. Your primary focus will be running and monitoring the backend systems that make Chromatic hum. We’re not talking about a simple CRUD application. We run an elastic browser rendering grid on AWS Lambda, AWS Fargate, and GCP Compute, managed by a queue service backed by Redis and written in Node.js, which uses GraphQL to talk to our application backend, which in turn is built on Express and backed by MongoDB. And then there’s connections to various 3rd party APIs. In short: you’ll be working on interesting problems and leveraging your skills and experience in running scalable systems.
- Monitor backend services at massive scale — millions of browser sessions over thousands of machines every day.
- Take ownership in our CI/CD pipeline within CircleCI and Heroku to reliably release new features to our customers.
- Troubleshoot infrastructure issues including outage post-mortem analysis and customer issues traced to backend services.
- Work directly with our engineering team to help refine specifications and provide technical guidance to make our systems more reliable.
- Reduce toil throughout our systems to improve the engineering experience and help us deliver product to our customers.
- Help define our product roadmap through ideation and your knowledge of backend development.
- Mentor and provide technical leadership both for your teammates and within the larger open source community.
- Participate in the engineering team’s on-call rotation (mostly during business hours owing to our distributed team).
- 5+ years of real world experience building and operating (scaling, debugging) complex backend systems.
- CS/Software Engineering degree or proven understanding of CS fundamentals.
- Some experience in a low level language such as C, Rust or Go (i.e not a scripting language).
- Experience setting up and operating on a complex PaaS environment (e.g AWS).
- Excellent technical communication skills and enthusiasm for writing things down.
- Bonus: Experience working with web browser internals and/or Node.js.
- Timezone: US East Coast to US Pacific.
You’ll join our world class engineering team to build software you’ll be proud of. We build tools that are used by thousands of development teams around the world. And of course we use them ourselves.
Why work here?
Build the tools behind the biggest sites. Our products help companies develop UIs for hundreds of millions of people.
Have a big impact and learn a ton by working across open source, cloud services, and developer experience. You’ll ship products you can be proud of.
Now is the best time to join. Storybook is one of the fastest growing open source projects with wide adoption. We’re profitable and scaling quickly with customers like Shopify, Adobe, and BBC.
- Be respectful
- Take pride in the work
- Invest in each other
- Inspire others to grow
- Outcome over ego
- Don’t overthink it
- This is supposed to be fun
- Work from anywhere
- Annual retreats
- Health benefits for you and yours
- Parent and family-friendly
- Home office setup stipend
- Learning stipend
- Unlimited vacation
Everyone talks to customers
The best way to serve customers is to talk to them. We schedule one day a week for you to get to know our users first-hand. You’ll learn about their challenges, answer questions, implement improvements, and support their success.
Our top secret business model
Build an open source project to scratch our own itch. Build production-grade cloud services that complement the open source project. Use that money to build more open source stuff. Along the way, make UI development faster and more satisfying for everyone. About us
Join an inclusive team
We’re an equal opportunity employer. We don’t discriminate based on race, nationality, belief system, sexual orientation, gender, age, military service, marital or partnership status, family or parental status, disability or any other status protected by law. View other openings